No replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ever since the release of RM4 the wishes to iron out the deficiencies in managing Place Details are raised on a fairly regular basis. Although I welcome Place Details and believe they are a great addition to RM, the full functionality of managing and reporting never was completed.
I do hope RM are listening and Renee gets approval to pin this topic and merge the other recent Place Details discussions on the message board. As one user who builds Place Details in regard of Geocoding, Media and Notes I am posting my own opinions and frustrations below :-

An in house way of splitting pre RM4 Places to Place and Place Details is very much needed.
An ability to merge Place Details is very much desired once spelling mistakes are corrected.
An easy way of identifying the existence or lack of Geocoding, Media and Notes on screen would be very beneficial, perhaps a Place List within a Place List but certainly much more control within the Place Details window.
•A method of detaching a Place Detail from one Place and attaching to another should a mistake be realised.
•For me the ability to FIND - Any Fact - Place Details Geocode - Is Blank would help filling the blanks from within RM rather than external means that only a few users would have expertise with.
•PRINT all events which occurred at these Place Details is a button I also wish for.

Rootsmagic 5 is a strong program and the deficiencies are much less than before but Place Details remains one of those areas. I am sure that many users get very confused and cause themselves endless difficulties trying to overcome this lack of functionality.
An intuitive solution is what RM deserves and easily attainable so hopefully this discussion thread will bring us closer to it.

I have decided to unpin this forum thread, due to update 5.0.2 & 5.0.2.1 changes. There are some outstanding requested items and they are still in our tracking system.

Time moves on and some issues fall away from focus but I was working with Place Details today within Rootsmagic and was reminded of these remaining little issues. This original post was January 2012 and on the Rootsmagic 5 thread so it would be nice to finally close on those remaining small functionality items and through this discussion and maybe realise some more enhancement needs.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: place details, mapping, geocoding, place reporting