5 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I "Wish" when you are in the view of the Place list, when you select a place there you would be a link/field to show all the places that place is used..It would have to be broken down for the new Place details (I love that) currently listed. I know you can run a report and see this but just a quick link when working to clean up the place list would be nice.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3436 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

I agree. You do know that the "Print" button on the Place List window takes you to the Place List report defaulted to report the events in the currently selected place? You can then generate the report, save it as a PDF or HTML or RTF or TXT and have it open by the appropriate reader in another window so that you can return to where you were in the Place List. Not quite as convenient as your wish but faster than exiting to the main menu to get to the report.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

You have hit on my biggest wish and that is for a completely new Place UI incorporating all the RM Place features on one UI with an embedded map.

Whilst I am not a fan of FTM, I do admire their Place UI which contains your wish and I continue to hold out my wish for a complete makeover in RM7, you can view a quick video on how FTM handles Places through the link in my signature below.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I did not know abut the print button..I will try it..I tried to "Like" your post but I got an error message I exceeded my likes for today but this was my first. Vyger, I am not techie enough for your FTM and Place UI references but I am glad someone too wants this feature..and I hope RM7 is a way off..I just bought 6!

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

The Like Button does not work on the forum, you always get that same message.

If you look through Rootsmagic it has many more Place related features that FTM, my only problem is that these have become fragmented through program evolution and not so obvious to some users.

If you look at Tools > Mapping I would like to see a similar UI expanded to incorporate all Place & Place Details related management and this should include a "where used" panel.

My opinions and comparisons which are aimed at being constructive for future RM development and success are on the link below.

http://www.vyger.co....y-software.html
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3885 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: place list