11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I "Wish" when you are in the view of the Place list, when you select a place there you would be a link/field to show all the places that place is used..It would have to be broken down for the new Place details (I love that) currently listed. I know you can run a report and see this but just a quick link when working to clean up the place list would be nice.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3522 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

I agree. You do know that the "Print" button on the Place List window takes you to the Place List report defaulted to report the events in the currently selected place? You can then generate the report, save it as a PDF or HTML or RTF or TXT and have it open by the appropriate reader in another window so that you can return to where you were in the Place List. Not quite as convenient as your wish but faster than exiting to the main menu to get to the report.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2346 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

You have hit on my biggest wish and that is for a completely new Place UI incorporating all the RM Place features on one UI with an embedded map.

Whilst I am not a fan of FTM, I do admire their Place UI which contains your wish and I continue to hold out my wish for a complete makeover in RM7, you can view a quick video on how FTM handles Places through the link in my signature below.

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I did not know abut the print button..I will try it..I tried to "Like" your post but I got an error message I exceeded my likes for today but this was my first. Vyger, I am not techie enough for your FTM and Place UI references but I am glad someone too wants this feature..and I hope RM7 is a way off..I just bought 6!

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2346 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

The Like Button does not work on the forum, you always get that same message.

If you look through Rootsmagic it has many more Place related features that FTM, my only problem is that these have become fragmented through program evolution and not so obvious to some users.

If you look at Tools > Mapping I would like to see a similar UI expanded to incorporate all Place & Place Details related management and this should include a "where used" panel.

My opinions and comparisons which are aimed at being constructive for future RM development and success are on the link below.

http://www.vyger.co....y-software.html

Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 LornaHen

LornaHen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

Hope that the enhancement request in the tracking system includes an ability to filter the place list for any text included in a place name before producing the report from the place list, or the markers on the Tools > Mapping.

Someone at an individual place (eg  a town) is indeed useful, but all people at a more generic place (eg a state or country) would be a great addition.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2346 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hope that the enhancement request in the tracking system includes an ability to filter the place list for any text included in a place name before producing the report from the place list, or the markers on the Tools > Mapping.

Someone at an individual place (eg  a town) is indeed useful, but all people at a more generic place (eg a state or country) would be a great addition.

I am wondering do you know about the Proximity Report where you can declare a radius of a Place in your database, this might help what you are looking for. I would like the center point to be declarable as the geocoding rather than having to be an existing Place. So if you were looking for possible connections to a tribe of Nomads in the desert you could describe your search perimeter.

I think I am pretty well wished out on Place related items so they would all be in the tracking system, my main hope now is that all Place (Place Details) related features and utilities like County Check, Gazetteer, Mapping and Associations are managed in a new UI like an enhancement to the Mapping UI.

A filter for the UI has also been wished for which would be helpful in finding Places containing PD type text like Cemetery, Church, Street etc. Also the option for a hierarchical view which would group Places better by geography has also been put forward.

There is a lot that could be done to help manage Places and a lot of posters on the forums have supported these so I would believe the Rootsmagician will bring some enhancements in the next version, I believe there is a great opportunity here.

#9 LornaHen

LornaHen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Sounds good, even if not clickable, Vyger, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Help search for proximity says no topics

Report list doesn't give me any obvious way to find it

Any hints?

No doubt perfectly obvious somewhere, once you know where to look :unsure:

#10 LornaHen

LornaHen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

scrub that last Vyger

Found it as an option under the Place List Print report settings - and there is already an option to input just a lat/long value and radius

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

On the dropdown menu on the Place list report settings screen, select Print events near a place. Boxes to fill in will then show beneath the menu.

Check out Help, Place list, Print to.read.the article about.the Place list report.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2346 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Sounds good, even if not clickable, Vyger, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Help search for proximity says no topics

Report list doesn't give me any obvious way to find it

Any hints?

No doubt perfectly obvious somewhere, once you know where to look :unsure:

Sorry you are completely right, I should have been more specific. On the new Place UI I dream of I think it should be shown up as an icon to be more obvious to users. And do bear in mind it is not perfect as you will find once you play with it. I am rushing out just now but will hopefully post again later.

proximity.gif