9 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I hate to keep posting questions but I do a search and just cannot find my answers and I want to learn..it is a big responsibility to keep the family history and I take pride in it..Maybe my questions will help others hopefully. I am trying to keep each question to one topic to help other search.

When I do a GEDCOM in RM3 the number of People and Families are the same in the Properties and the GEDCOM
When I do a GEDCOM in RM6 if you watch the GEDCOM creating, you can see these numbers and they are different from the properties..there are less people and families in RM6 GEDCOM than that listed in the properties. For the people, I am 5 short but now RM6 shows 5 ALT Names so maybe that is the difference..if so does this mean the GEDCOM does not back up the Alt names?

For the families, there are 17 less viewing the GEDCOM creation than the number of families in the properties..I have no idea why...

Can I graciously again ask for help on this issue?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

To complete the circle, import the GEDCOM file into a new database and compare the properties of the new database with those of the one that exported the ged file. Assuming you exported everyone, the differences will be the number of records in certain database tables that are no longer in use because of merging, deletions, etc. Database properties is a simple report on the number of records in those database tables, regardless of usage. Some RootsMagic operations do not do a proper job of cleaning up after and thusly leave behind unused records. The count in Export is presumably a running tally of what is exported and is therefore a more accurate indicator.

You may be right about the disparity in Individuals - the GEDCOM count is correct but Properties may count records in the NameTable which also carries records for Alternate Names. If so, this should be changed to count records in the PersonTable. If not, then there would appear to be phantom people in the PersonTable.

Under File > Database Tools, there is a newish feature called "Delete Phantoms" which does delete unused records from some tables but not all.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thank you Tom and I did the Delete Phantoms thing on RM6 and still the RM6 gedcom shows less families in the new RM6..is there any way I can do a list report of some kind of families in both programs to compare and see who I am missing but still not sure that will do it as the Properties are the same in RM3 and RM6--just the RM6 Gedcom is short families.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

TomH is correct, if you do the Database Maintenance before the export and tick all boxes on the left then the imported (NEW) database should have the same properties, if not I would worry.

The only point I wanted to add here is to avoid Gedcom unless you have a specific need, I have lost many things in the past when using Gedcom transfers.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#5 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Vyger..I assume you do a datavase Maint on the RM3 database..how? The properties are the same..(of couse except for the new catagory of Multimedia Items..the Multimedium Links are the same so I have nothing to compare that to. I am very leary of this gedcom. Do you know what constitutes a FAMILY? Could I do a list of marriage facts on both to see if I catch it there?

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

In RM 3, you can go to Files, Rebuild indexes.

I would uncheck making a gedcom and check pack database.

Click on rebuild indexes.

This can take some time depending on your database.

I don't remember if rebuilding the indexes changes the Properties if there were problems which were corrected.

But be aware that there still may be some misindexed data that would be fixed in a gedcom.

I pay no attention to the count on the screen that appears when RM is creating the gedcom. It is not always accurate.

To check a RM 6 gedcom with the RM 6 database it came from, create a new database with a new name and import the gedcom.

Compare the Properties of both databases.

What I don't know is if the Family numbers in Properties in RM 3 and 6 is just reporting couples with marriage facts or if couples that are linked without a marriage fact are included.

You could go to Search, Family list in RM 3 and RM 6 and compare the lists. This list shows couple who are just linked with no marriage fact also. A report for the marriage fact will only give us the couples that have the marriage fact.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#7 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

thank you Laura..I created a new database and imported the RM6 gedcom and the properties matched the exising one..but the gedcom for both are short things..so I guess I will have to leave it at that the gedcom numbers shown are incorrect. Today I will print two families lists and see it I can find the difference.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Unfortunately, you can't print the Search, Family list.

I don't have my computer right now to experiment with, but I halfway remember that there is a report you can make for the Marriage record number, or, maybe, it is to create a custom report with the MRIN as a field. I have done it before in RM 6. Maybe someone will post with that answer before I get a chance to experiment later today.

I don't remember if you can get a MRIN report in RM 3.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

The Database Properties count of "Families" is the count of records in the table FamilyTable. A test database reported 394 for both.
Export reported 380 just before finishing.

The test database table has some records which do not constitute a couple:
Qty Father Mother Child
17    Y      N      Y
 2    Y      N      N
 5    N      Y      Y
 1    N      Y      N
__

394-25=369 - this does not match the GEDCOM export report so what is 380 a count of? Maybe it is just the last count in progress reported and the final count does not get reported before the process is closed.

Since the database properties of the file imported from the GEDCOM match those of the originating database, you have not lost any families. The GEDCOM progress count can be considered to be an incomplete report! Ignore it.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

thank you for all your research..at least I am not crazy...ignored as best I can..will rely on the properties