7 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

RootsMagic 6 has no Merge Source Templates function and it really needs one. When you copy multiple times from one database to another and there are citations involved that use the same custom source template, each time that source template is brought over it is treated as a new source template and the associated source is, too. So now you have multiple identical custom source templates with no tool to merge them. And you have multiple identical master sources which cannot be merged by the Source Manager's AutoMerge because they use different source template records. You can merge them manually but that is painfully tedious given that the identical properties of the source templates should make it possible to automate it.

Until RootsMagic comes up with an AutoMerge for custom Source Templates, here is a SQLite utility that does the job:
Source Templates - Merge Duplicates
Usual caveats and disclaimers apply...
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I like the idea of merging Sources individually, then you do not make a merge mistake. If automerge does not catch it there has to be something that is different between two Sources that you think are identical. Just my way of doing this......
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yes, Source AutoMerge is very safe because it requires absolutely identical Master Sources, right down to using the exact same Source Template. That's the point of needing tools to merge identical Source Templates - so that Source AutoMerge can do its job and save you the burden of manually finding and merging truly identical Sources.

If you don't use custom Source Templates and don't drag'n'drop among database files, then it is unlikely that you will end up with duplicate custom Source Templates which is the motivation for Source Templates - Merge Duplicates.
Tom
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'll just chime in briefly in support of Tom here. To repeat what he has said several times: if you use custom source templates and if you drag and drop, the drag and drop process will produce duplicate custom source templates. This seems like a pretty serious design flaw to me. It's not like you can merge the duplicates manually. You can't merge them at all, except by running Tom's SQLite process.

Jerry

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'll just chime in briefly in support of Tom here. To repeat what he has said several times: if you use custom source templates and if you drag and drop, the drag and drop process will produce duplicate custom source templates. This seems like a pretty serious design flaw to me. It's not like you can merge the duplicates manually. You can't merge them at all, except by running Tom's SQLite process.

Jerry

Sorry but I have been able to do a single manual duplicate merge on anyone of them that show up twice. Recent upgrades have put some in the system that did not need to be there. They merged okay. :)
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Sorry but I have been able to do a single manual duplicate merge on anyone of them that show up twice. Recent upgrades have put some in the system that did not need to be there. They merged okay.

Please outline your procedure for merging duplicate Source Templates. Note that I am not asking how you merge duplicate Sources. I wonder if you have misread the Topic of this thread and my messages and have inferred "Source" where I wrote "Source Template". Makes a world of difference! ;)
Tom

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Confirming enhancements are in our tracking system. Tough call on my part if to report it as a bug so I increased the urgency level.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3971 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

Tough call on my part if to report it as a bug so I increased the urgency level.

Thanks, Renee, and I understand the categorisation dilemma. The duplicate custom source template issue would not arise if the drag'n'drop functionality checked for the existence of a custom source template in the target database that matched the definition of the originating custom source template. However, I don't know if this might have a seriously adverse effect on speed. Were that process to be added to drag'n'drop, there still remains a need for this sort of automerge of custom source templates with matching definitions to clean up the backlog.
Tom