7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have done the same narrative report, modified register in RM3 and M6 but they are different. The RM6 is several pages longer. I checked font, margins etc. and all are the same. I now see some pictures in RM6 are overlaping a name..In RM3 lets say it tells of father with his picture, then blank line and then a paragraph of the marriage to wife then blank line again and the next section is the picture of the wife and her information. in RM6 there is a blank line break after the father info but then the marriage info and wife info are one paragraph and the picture of the wife overlaps her name. Oddly, the file size in RM3 is a bit larger but the report in RM6 is more pages..More concerned about the pictures sometimes blocking out names. What setting do I have to adjust.

After hours of comparing maybe I can explain better..with proper terms
RM3 Person with all facts and notes>blank line>Marriage fact with marriage note>BLANK LINE
Spouce picture with all her infor and notes with picture to the left correctly

RM6 Person with all facts and notes>blank line>
BUT now the marriage fact and notes are in one paragraph with no line space after and the picture of the spouce is to the left of this paragraph which blocks out the spouces first name. It is like the marriage fact is no longer separated function on the report.
I could send you a sample if you need.

NOTE: Additional info seems to be the pictures with a SPOUCE (or sometimes a child under a parent) when listed below the first person in the marriage. I did several types of narratives and the second spouce is the one with the picture that does not line up (or the data) so the picture blocks out the first name of the second person. I even tried another picture and still the same.

#2 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

I am saddened no one has a suggestion for this issue so maybe it is a problem with RM6..how do I transfer this post to the problem section..I hate to make a duplicate post.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Narrative Report, I am saving as a .rtf format and correcting the items you listed in my MSWord software. Have been doing this since FO 2... Each computer is different and each version of the transfer items in rtf format to a word process are also different. I have never complained about the too much white spacing, or the way the report looks. Just changed it to the way I wanted it. Each person has their own idea of how your report should look.

This is my take on the Narrative Report. I never use Publisher within the RM for this reason. I want control over my printouts... :)
Genealogy:  
"I  work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0  = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

in RM6 there is a blank line break after the father info but then the marriage info and wife info are one paragraph and the picture of the wife overlaps her name. Oddly, the file size in RM3 is a bit larger but the report in RM6 is more pages..More concerned about the pictures sometimes blocking out names. What setting do I have to adjust.

http://support.roots...photo-in-Report
--
   -- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
      --
         --ΤΏΤ--
        K e V i N

#5 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for the link..wow, it is not consistant which pictures will or will not overlap the firt name. It seems to be the position on the report..never on the first person but on the spouce..never on the first child but on the second child..etc..how do you add a blank line before a birth fact that has no comment/note? I tried to click on more help in your link but it went no where..so frustrating. Your link is dated 2011 so I would have thought this issue would have been resolved in RM6.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Works for me:
"For futher discussion on fixing this issue click here."
Takes you to a message I posted with more further down the thread.
You'd think it would be fixed by now, but...
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for trying again..I still get "Internet Explorer cannot open this page" I get this a lot when I click on links in this forum..I did go to the pictures that seems to be the most frequest issues around the marriage face and I put a blank line before and after and it seems to resolve thoses pictures but to go thru everyone with a marriage fact is enoumous..so until I see the issue effecting a report I guess I will have to be satisfied..I have used RM since the beginning but stayed with RM3 until this week when I got RM6 and trying to make sure they are the same before I stop entering into RM3 but I hate loose ends. Do you know what an Outline report does not show vs/ modified register to cause my report to be some 10 pages less in the outline version?

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

http://forums.rootsm...-behind-photos/
--
   -- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
      --
         --ΤΏΤ--
        K e V i N

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narrative reports