9 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

In RM6 how do I get the copy of the backed up data files from one computer to another? In RM3 I used to just do a back up file in computer #1 and in computer #2 I would save that file and select file>restore and point to that saved file from computer #1 so both computers were the same. I am getting a bit confused with the new .rmgc data files in one folder and the .rmgb back up files in another ..maybe I just dont see/understand the difference between them..in any event is this the way to transfer data from one computer to another?

Is this the correct forum to search for such things? There used to be a section of RM that had lots of "how to" where I originally learned all this and webinars for some also but I cant seem to find that section ..canyou direct me to that and it might save some posting here too.
Many thanks

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3309 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

.rmgc files are the RM 6 database files, one file only for each database. .rmgb files are the zipped backup files.

You can do it as you always have, if you wish, backup the database on Computer #1 and transfer and save the backup to Computer #2. Open RM 6 and go to Files, Restore and restore the backup.

Or you can just copy the RM 6 database .rmgc file on Computer #1 and transfer and save that to Computer #2 and use Files, Open to open it in RM 6.

I would transfer the files on a jump drive or SD, but you can do it on a CD or use Dropbox and some other methods.

This forum is a good place to ask questions.

The Webinars are on the main RootsMagic site.

http://rootsmagic.com/webinars/

RootsMagic is putting short how to videos on YouTube, RootsMagicTV.

Copying a RootsMagic Database to Another Computer is a video you will probably want to watch. I believe it does the transfer using a backup file.

Don't forget to also transfer your media separately.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Think of it as:
C means CURRENT - the current database - RMGC
B means BACKUP - the backup file - RMGB

So, you can still restore the backup from one computer to the other.
Alfred

#4 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

Thank you..I will watch the video..I understand the physical difference between the C and B but where I just can't wrap my head around is the difference in content..when you do a backup B does that update the C automatically? Is the C a back up of my entered data and the program structure also and the B is just my entered data? I do see the file size of the C is almost twice the size of the B.. Wouldn"t the latest B be the most current C? When I just copied the C to computer #2 it worked but I lost all the small changes I did like the date format and to leave blank the sentence if you have no facts...so is it better to do a restore from a back up?

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

The backup file is just a compressed version of the database file.
The restored backup is exactly the same as the database was when you backed it up.

The settings you do in the "Tools - Program Options" are stored in a different file and are not included in the regular database, so are not transferred when you copy the database file or restore a backup.

Since the date format is set in the file options, and sentence for no information is set with reports options, I would think that they would transfer with the database or it's backup. Could it be you restored an older backup file, created before those changes?
Alfred

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I think I am finally getting it. been watching all sorts of videos, F1 hep, knowledge base etc. Now I have all the files done and saved on both computers. Now, as I travel and add information on this second computer and do a back up, if I go to the original computer to add all this new information, I used to just (on rm3) do a File>Restore back up and point to the back up file from the travel computer that I saved on my desktop and it replaced what I had after asking permission to do so both computers now are identical. BUT (don't you hate that word )When on RM6 I went to add the new back up file with the new info, File> Restore I got a message that it could not do so if the file was open. so I closed it and it gave me the file as another data base. Is this the new way for a restore from a back up file in RM6 where it actually creates a new database for you (could be a safeguard) and you simply delete the first when you are pleased? I did not check if all the settings came with this new data file either...just stopped and added this note to you. .

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4055 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

If you restore your backup in the same folder as your current database by the same name it should just over-write the database. So it sounds like you either restored into a different folder, or the database had a different name. Make sure you add any extra info in between the ( ) where the date is. Anything in that area will not become part of the database name when restored.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

thank you Renee, I think I was doing something wrong as now it seems to be working as you describe. The only new thing is that you have to close the database on the screen before doing the restore and then it asks you if you want to replace as it did before ..

#9 BobBatty

BobBatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Open RM To Go first.
Put your flash drive in the USB port.
Within a few seconds it will change to the correct drive where your backup is stored.
You should see a large greed arrow showing your jump drive has the latest version.
If not click on the box next to the green arrow and update to the latest version.
The second green arrow down will show if data is current, if not it will show which way the data should go.
If it pointing to the flash drive, it means larger file on computer.
Click on it and click the little box to let it update the file on the jump drive.
Close box and jump drive.
Put the jump drive in the other computer and follow directions and install updated file to second computer.
If you have a Getting The Most Out Of Roots Magic Book it better explains process. Very simple after you do it a few times. The book very accurately describes the process. Just advise, install RM the way it was designed and use it that way and you will NOT have any problems. Do NOT try to rewrite the program. Good Luck

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4055 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

thank you Renee, I think I was doing something wrong as now it seems to be working as you describe. The only new thing is that you have to close the database on the screen before doing the restore and then it asks you if you want to replace as it did before ..

Yes, when doing a restore you will need to close any databases currently open before hand.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data transfer, restore back up