No replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3226 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

It’s not unusual to read on the forum of people upgrading from version 4 to version 6 and some users still back using version 3 or earlier. On the positive side I do seem to be reading more posts of new users migrating from FTM and PAF although this is no indication of real user base trends. Every user decision to skip or not bother about a new version is lost revenue for Rootsmagic.

The Rootsmagician is faced with that difficult decision of balancing new features releases desirable enough that users feel they are a big enough real benefit to what they want to achieve to make them take the upgrade. The other side of the coin is keeping some king of roadmap for the company over the coming years and not running out of those very desirable features.

Noting family connections is a basic that goes back to the earliest DOS programs but what seems to be the biggest attraction today is TOOLS. Anything that makes the managing of ever increasing data collections less time consuming and more productive seems to be a winner and seems to be what the Rootsmagician is driving towards. In a world where collecting information is a lot easier than ever before but managing it is a lot more difficult I believe such a strategy should succeed.

So what new features would make you definite up grader to version 7?, whats your big wish?

Places : I believe a completely new Place UI would be very productive and a lot of tools and power could be incorporated within one UI saving lots of time and effort managing Places. I would like to see either additional options to Print Place & Place Detail Notes and Media in the Place Index or an additional Place Appendix to report that additional information and further enhance reports.

Media : Whilst the Media Gallery is a benefit over RM3 I personally still believe there is much could be done here to manage media both within RM and media collections on the computer hard drive. Some further subdivision of media categories and face highlighting within group photos are all areas where improvement could be applied.

Sources : An improved Source Manager would seem to be desirable where the merging of “old style” and “new style” Sources could be managed through a field mapping UI and hopefully the present problem of identical sources not merging could be put to bed at long last.

Navigation : I recently mentioned the proximity report and its present lack of effectiveness when just latitude and longitude are entered. Apart from my hope that this will be overcome in the near future there is an opportunity for RM to export a Place & Place Detail list in .csv format which could be imported as a POI database into GPS devices for field trips., this could also include repositories in that area.

I like the yearly version update cycle and hope the Rootsmagician maintains it. It is a sort of tick tock approach which drives Rootsmagic towards coming up with new desirable features and then a year where the niggles can be ironed out.

Nobody likes half baked food, so leave it in the oven and tend to it a bit longer till it's just perfect.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root