2 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

This is a bit of Discussion, a bit of Issue and, of course some enhancement requests.

A very useful feature was added to Rootsmagic, I believe in V5, but does not work as I would expect and, in fact, it could be a little confusing as to what it actually reports. The feature is what I call a proximity report and is accessed through the Place List > Print > Print Events Near a Place, the Help topic reads as follows:

"Print events near a place. You will need to choose a place, and then select a radius (in miles) that you want RootsMagic to include places. For example, you can choose to include all events within 50 miles of Dallas, Texas."

The term Print Events Near a Place is exactly as described but that does need to be an actual Place, either geocoded within your database or looked up in the Gazetteer. Rootsmagic does allow the input of simply Latitude and Longitude but it seems to report based on the Place co-ordinates closest to your input and not the actual Latitude & Longitude entered which is confusing. I would hope Renee or the Rootsmagician could verify what the reporting is based on when just Latitude and Longitude are entered.

In the modern US & Canada families most families are spread over vast areas but historically that would be much less the case. in the past most families remained much closer in small settlements and villages which do not meet the definition of a Place and really should be entered as Place Details, these are the proximity reports which are valuable and useful in my opinion.

Posted Image

The Wish is that any actual Latitude and Longitude entered is the basis of the proximity calculation and, of course, includes Place Details. In the Help file entry finding all events within 1 mile of Dallas, Texas which RM plots as 32° 46' 0.01" N, 96° 46' 59.99" W (the City Center) is not very useful whereas if my family grew up around the Junius Heights District of Dallas (32.806358 N, 96.756814W) printing a 1 or 2 mile report of all events surrounding those co-ordinates would be very useful.

The way RM currently reports leads to a temptation to enter Junius Heights as a Place, whereas it is only a district which almost negates the use of Place Details. Whilst this workaround would probably work it adds to Place List problems for the future and is not a workaround I want to employ.

The Issue is that I find the current operation confusing where I was entering Latitude and Longitude and expecting a report of all events within the chosen radius which is not what is reported. Making a calculation and reporting Places and Place Details with co-ordinates within a chosen radius of a Latitude and Longitude is a simple mathematical affair and what I believe RM should strive to achieve and report.

The Discussion, as always, is open and I look forward to hearing other users views on this.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6253 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

I fully agree. Three years ago, before this feature was introduced in RootsMagic, I wrote and published a SQLite query and procedure to map events from RM, including geo-coded Place Details, using Google Earth. It is described at http://sqlitetoolsfo...vents-KML query

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hmmm, my how the time flies <_<

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: place list, place details, reports, mapping