• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have been trying for days to download and install the newest update. When I click "Download and install this update now," the "Downloading update" window with the status bar comes up, but then nothing happens. No "time remaining" and nothing on the status bar. After 15-20 seconds, the window disappears. I've tried restarting RootsMagic, restarting my computer, etc. -- so far nothing. This same thing happened when I downloaded the last upgrade. In that case, I was waiting for a call back from the tech support folks, when suddenly (after days of trying), it suddenly worked. I can't reproduce what I did then, because I don't know what I did.

#2 BobBatty

BobBatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I seem to have the same problem. It is noon Saturday 20th 2013 here in Florida. I cannot seem to update any update from my RM6 program. I can download from RM website. It advises not to do this in a box as it is not from RM. I just clicked OK as I always have to do. It updated 6.3.0.1 just fine as it has all the previous updates. What am I doing wrong and why can't I do all these updates from my RM6 program on my Laptop computer in stead of closing my program and downloading from the internet RM website. Bob Batty bobby314bobby@netscape.net

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2639 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

-KVHumiston, I wonder if perhaps your antivirus is blocking RootsMagic from accessing the internet for safety reasons? If so you might could investigate how to add RootsMagic to the exclusion list, maybe?

-Bob, I don't understand the "not from RM" warning but 6.3.0.1 is the latest version. It can't update itself because there's no update to beyond that version.

Updates can also always be downloaded directly from rootsmagic.com (then run the installer as you would any other)

Bookmark This Page

http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#4 BobBatty

BobBatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

It is saying the update is not from Roots Magic or a trusted site and I should not accept it unless I trust that site. I know it is a genuine Roots Magic update, so I click OK. No, I realize you can't update the latest if you already have it. I only update when the box when you open RM says a new update is available or it says at the bottom right of my opened RM. I think you may be right as I will check my antivirus. Thank You.

#5 Plan B

Plan B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Bob, I’m also in Florida and was having the same issue yesterday (on Comcast). The update through RootsMagic would timeout, and downloading the latest update directly from the RootsMagic website was horrendously slow and would eventually timeout as well. I use a VPN for work and connected to a west coast server and it downloaded fine, which leads me to believe it was a comcast / ISP issue and not a RM issue.

Everything seems back to normal today though.

#6 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

I was finally successful in downloading directly from rootsmagic.com. Still not sure why the other route wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestions!