• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 txhowell

txhowell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

I am new to Roots Magic and have a bunch of Swedish names that when transfered over from FamilySearch...didn't have the international symbols in their names. I have looked and looked and can't find where Roots Magic has hidden this special key! Thanks for any help. Debbie Howell

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3445 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I don't know of any special key. RootsMagic is supposed to support the Unicode character set but I do not know if the Family Search FamilyTree API does. Are you able to keypunch the desired characters into RootsMagic and see them displayed? If not, maybe there is a Windows setting that you need to change. But that may open up another set of problems that RM has been advising users to get around for the time being by setting Windows to US English. Hmmm, that would be Catch-22...
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Gmansitka

Gmansitka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

I type swedish every day. Google swedish keyboard. Or use the following: ö = Alt + 148, Ö = alt + 153; ä = alt + 132, Ä = alt + 142; å = alt + 134 , Å = alt + 143

Press the alt key and while holding down, enter the numbers on your keyboard.

Windows 7 also has a character map utility that has all the extra letters you could want. Simply copy and paste. Look under accessories and send icon to desktop. I don't use it for swedish because it takes more time.

FYI: no child in Sweden is named Jons should be Jöns, no child in Sweden is name Mons = Måns, same for Håkan, Pår or Pär (although Per or Pehr is a name often used) and means the same as Pår or Pär.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

In RootsMagic, hit Ctrl-T to bring up the Character Map. This works correctly in most instances - that is, from the Character Map you can enter any special character that Windows can access. A couple places that DO NOT work properly: 1) on the Edit Source screen (either Free-form or Book, Basic format templates, and maybe other templates that I haven't tested), in the Page Number (or Page) data box - if you enter a Ctrl-T special character here, the character gets inserted somewhere else - and not always the same incorrect location; and 2) on the Media Properties screen, entering a Ctrl-T special character in the Caption box places the character into the Description box.

This misbehavior has been reported before, in fact, it's been around since at least RM4....