5 replies to this topic

#1 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Needing to upgrade from RM4 to the latest version of v6, it isn't obvious how the Company copes with online upgrade payments other than in US Dollars. Is there a Pounds Stirling option for payment?
Then, is it recommended that RM6.3 be allowed to upgrade RM4 - to maintain personal preferences such as backup and graphics location etc - or to install it uniquely so as to maintain the old database setup in case of problems? Similarly, if I go for the Express version of V6, perhaps for initial trials via a simple download, could that be used to upgrade my existing full version of RM4 or should that be a 'unique' install? - TIA, Don

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3106 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

How did you buy RM4? Did you buy it from RootsMagic.uk or RootsMagic usa?

Personally, I would do a clean install of RM6 and reset the Tool, Program options and leave RM4 on the computer and uninstall it later if desired.

RM6 will convert your RM4 database to a RM6 database so keep a backup, copy, or gedcom of the RM4 database. The media file links will still be in the new RM6 database.

You will probably want a new folder for the new RM6 folder. When I am installing new versions, I create a new folder for the database and copy the old version database into that folder giving it a new name, i.e. [database name] v6. Then I have the new version convert that file and change Tools, Program options, Folders to that new folder in the new version.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#3 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Laura, thanks for that. Sorry to be late back to the thread at this time of the year. Just to be sure how I prevent the RM6 install overwriting the old RM4 installation, which I assume a default install would do. I currently have the RM4 GEDCOM and the RM6.3 install file on the Desktop, so where, precisely, do I position the GEDCOM and RM6 files before starting the installation. To the point, how do I deflect RM6 from it's convert and overwrite activity? Could you try again to spell it out please, step by step? Many thanks, Don

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi Don, I am UK&Ire so will give you what advice I can.

1. Buy from US, it will be in dollars but sure your card company will convert that to sterling.
2. Using RM4, backup all your files and note the backups as "last used RM4 files" this is overkill as I don't think you will ever go back to them, but still.
3. Install RM6.3, I don't believe it will overwrite RM4 but definitely not without warning.
4. Use RM6.3 to open whatever file you were using in RM4, the file will be converted to a new format (but you have a RM4 backup, see #2)

I would avoid using the gedcom file unless that is your only option, backing up your RM4 files and worrying about the RM4 installation is a bit of overkill, once you start using RM6 I don't think you will ever want go back to RM4.

Hope this helps, anything else just ask.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3106 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Watch Webinar #29, Installing and Upgrading to RootsMagic 5. The process is the same or simuliar.

http://rootsmagic.com/webinars/

RM 6 will give you the choice of whether or not to overwrite previous versions when you install it.

I use a copy of my database to be converted to a new version rather than backup the RM 4 file and converting the existing file.

Before installing a new version, create new folders on the hard drive for the new RM 6 databases.

Open RM 4 and change the name of the database to [name] V4.

This is good time to make a full gedcom of the RM4 database just to make sure you can and there is no corruption in the database even though you will not be using it to import into RM 6.

Go to Files, Copy. Copy the database giving it a new name, [name] V6. Save the copy to the new FM 6 database folder. This is the database I will select for RM 6 to convert.

Repeat for each database you will want converted.

After installing RM 6, Go to Tools, Program Options, Folders and tell RM 6 where to look for the RM 6 files.

Open a file and convert the database(s) that are in the new RM 6 database folder with V6 in the name.

Go to File, Database tools and run the database tools in order.

I also make my first full gedcom and backup of the new database.

I have RM 3, 4 5 and 6 on my computer. Each version has a separate folder with subfolders on my hard drive. Each database file has the version number of the RM version that will open it at the end of the database name, i.e. V3, V4, V5, V6.

I do all new entry in the latest version, but will still occasionally answer questions about older versions.

I also change the Display colors for each version of RM so each version has different colors. This lets me know visually which version I have open.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#6 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thanks guys! Install to 6.3.0.2 (just in time for that) and file conversion/transfer seems to have gone OK. - Don