• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I presented this idea several years ago and I was shot down. I still think there should be an easier way to select individuals for the GEDCOM creation file. Currently one has to 'select from a list' by checking each person to go into the GEDCOM file. I suggest that a 'select all ancestors' or 'select all descendants', from a highlighted person be implemented. This is the way one selects people for the Narrative Report. I would think it would not be that difficult to implement this function into GEDCOM Export.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Apparently you are unaware that when you "Select from a list" that the RootsMagic Explorer window which opens in response has Mark and Unmark buttons which give you the options you wish for.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I heard the shot before I read TomH's answer :D, still we all learn little things everyday.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#4 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I still do not see the function I want. I want to mark one person, say myself, and then click on something that will create a GEDCOM of me and all my ancestors. That is just a few mouse clicks.
Roger

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Click File, then Export ...
from the People to export dropdown, choose Select from list
Select People window will open
Highlight yourself in the Name list by locating and clicking your name
Click the Mark group button
Click Ancestors of highlighted person from dropdown
Choose from available Ancestor Options, click OK three times
enter a File name in the Save As box, click Save button
GEDCOM will be created

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

And pressing the F1 key, when in any of the screens that come up in the steps Ludlow Bay has outlined for you, will open the Help system on the relevant topic. Additionally, if you had created a Named Group of yourself and your ancestors to facilitate other processes in RM, you would find that that group name would be in the dropdown list in the People to export field.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 rogerroot

rogerroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Wow, Thank you Ludlow Bay and Tom H. It worked very well. I love RM.
Roger