• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marr794@aol.com

marr794@aol.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am moving from FTM to Roots Magic 6. Unfortunately, I have a LOT of sources/citations on individual names. These sources do not show in Roots Magic so I have to do something to fix them. I figured out that the sources have to be on events rather than the name. So I have created a tag in FTM (called it Sources) and need to figure out how to move the sources from the name to the new tag. Sure, I could manually redo the sources in FTM before I create a gedcom --- I have over 4,000 people with these sources -- it would take me weeks. Is there a sensible way to edit a gedcom to more easily move the sources from the person's name to a custom tag?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

The sources that are attached to a primary name will become general sources for the person in RootsMagic. If you open the Edit Person screen in RootsMagic you will see a green check mark in the sources column on the row marked Person. It's the very first item on that screen, under the top row of buttons.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 marr794@aol.com

marr794@aol.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nope, I don't have any green checks -- they don't show anywhere. It says no Person Sources

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Have a look at the last paragraph on this page about importing from Ancestry.com http://sqlitetoolsfo...nd RootsMagic 5 . Citations Invisible Revealed should also work for such source links imported from FTM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 marr794@aol.com

marr794@aol.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hurrah! It worked -- the SQLite Citations Invisible Revealed managed to reveal my citations. What a relief --- 4,000 people with 10,000 sources no longer lost. Thank you, Tom, for pointing me to it and thank you, Renee, for helping. Now I can dump Family Tree Maker, which was corrupting my database and had no tools to repair.