9 replies to this topic

#1 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Is there a way to privatize a class of facts so the default is 'Private"? Would like to be able to set every instance of LDS facts to a default of private so when the output report options are set not to include private facts they will be held out of the report or file output. Is there any way to accomplish this in a setting rather than going through a file an finding every instance of the fact type and changing the setting manually? In this case the inquiry is about LDS facts only but the concept would apply to any need to privatize a whole group of facts.
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#2 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

One option is to bring up the list of facts and select the one you want and then there is a include when which should prevent them from being exported or printed on certain reports.

Roger

#3 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I presume you are referring to the Include List. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind I wanted to add a 'Private' opting to an item with the default being private. (May not be able to do this)
Include
GEDCOM:
Yes
Publish online / Create HTML: Yes
Group sheets: Yes
Narrative reports: Yes
Individual summary: Yes
Lists: Yes
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

I must be missing something here with your request. The way I look at it there isn't any need to add a Private feature in the Include List, because turning off the ability to print or export achieves the same thing. If you only want to turn off the ability to print per person and not everyone then you need to do that manually with each person marking it private. Then again that would mean no need for a Private feature on the fact level for everyone. So I need more details to understand why the Include List isn't working for what you need.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I don't know what Ed R's reasoning is, but I could perhaps see a use to having a fact marked Private globally especially those 4 I add to every person.

It would save me some work if RM always automatically marked those facts as Private for me when I linked them and save me making an error if I forgot.

However, I suspect it might take quite awhile to change the Private mark globally as a user checked and unchecked that feature for a fact in a large database.

I leave every fact checked for export in a Gedcom. Then I can choose whether or not to export private facts depending on whether I am exporting the gedcom for use by myself or someone else.

Checking and unchecking html and reports to include or not include facts takes care of the reports for facts I don't want to ever include.

There will always be a need to have the ability to have some of the same fact marked as private or not marked as private. For instance, I have some Alternate name facts marked as private that I use in my internal database use and others not marked private that I would print in a report or export in a gedcom for someone else.

#6 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thank you Laura, I too have a work around that uses a export/import process. It works (kind of); it is slow; it makes for potential errors if one is not very careful. Also thanks for better stating the need for a universal option to flag a fact as private or not. Ed
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

I must be missing something here with your request. The way I look at it there isn't any need to add a Private feature in the Include List, because turning off the ability to print or export achieves the same thing.

I agree that turning off the ability to print or export achieves the same effect, but it is not really the same thing at all. The Fact List is a real mess to manage, and it's extremely easy to get a Fact List setting wrong - especially if you change some settings for one special purpose and make a mistake in putting the settings back the way they were after that purpose is served. The ability to mark a fact type as defaulting to private would be much easier to manage than changing the Fact List and would be much more reliable in human factors terms.

Jerry

#8 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:42 AM

Removing all of the check marks from the 'include' list does not prevent the fact type from being uploaded to Ancestry via TreeShare. Marking the individual fact private does prevent the fact from uploading. (I just tested this.)

Since I'm trying to document my DNA matches and thrulines while respecting the privacy of my matches, I would like the ability to mark the fact type 'private' on a global scale.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8701 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:06 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:50 AM

Removing all of the check marks from the 'include' list does not prevent the fact type from being uploaded to Ancestry via TreeShare. 

The same problem also exists when uploading to MyRootsMagic.

There really does need to be a way to mark a Fact Type as private. I hope that this item being on the enhancement request list might mean that it will be implemented in RM8.1 or RM8.2, in other words, sometime soon after RM8.0 is out the door.

Jerry