• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Can someone please help? When I need to add a census I do this, 'Edit person screen' 'add fact, census' and then in 'note' I always add the persons occupation on that paticular census, and then under 'share' I manually type in everyone else on that census, ( prefer the way it looks on the database that way) but here's the problem, it's all dissapeared!! I've been through them all and they've all gone, anything under 'share' has just vanished, I'm gutted to say the least, that was a lot of work typing mannually, does someone please have a solution?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Could you be looking at an older version of your data?
If you restore a backup of an earlier version it will overwrite the new edits if you aren't really careful about where you restore it.
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Whenever we have reports of data "disappearing" it has always been that there are more than one copy of the RootsMagic database on your computer and each time you open it it's going to a different copy.

You can use File>Search for files to have RootsMagic look for all the databases on your computer.

To make sure RootsMagic always opens the same database you need to do the following.

1. Go to Tools>Program Options>Folders and set the default folder location where to always find your RM database. You click on the (....) to open the Windows Explorer to select the proper folder.

2. Go to Tools>Program Options>General and check the box "Open databases from last session".

Now after deciding which RootsMagic database is your primary one and using the above settings you will safely be using the same database all the time and nothing with "disappear".
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm sorry, I know you'll think that I'm really thick, but looking at your directions, I kinda understand them, but, and this is a big but, I don't really know where to find the right database, or indeed which would be the right one if I could, if I go into documents, I have there a folder in which I do my backups, I also have another folder marked RM files, now if I go into that I can see quite a few files, six in fact, all with different dates in June apart from one dated last year, now I'm wondering if the ones in June are backups that I've mistakenly saved in that folder instead of the other one, so now I dont know what to do, can you please help me, as you've probably guessed I'm not very computer savvy, I can just get by so please tell me how to do anything in laymans terms, sorry to be thick but I'm sooooo grateful to you for helping me.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Going to File>Search for Files will help you see where all the RM files are on your computer.

Database files have the extension RMGC and you open them in RM using File>Open

Backup files have the extension RMGB and you open them in RM using File>Restore. They will open as RMGC files then. So I don't see that you have been writing to backups and opening them by mistake. At least that's not a typical pattern I see.

If you restore a backup in RM into the same folder your main database is with that name it will over-write it. If you don't want it to do that then on the Restore settings you need to specify a different folder for it.

I'm not sure what to tell you about which database file to begin using. That's a tough call. It sounds like you used a lot of them and entered data amongst them all. Some people just combine all the databases together and then merge them. But that can get messy with clean up issues because of conflicting info.

The other option is to pick your most recent and largest sized file and call that your primary database. Then open the other databases side by side in RootsMagic to see what the changes are that were made. You can customize the People view to include the "Last Edited" column and sort on it. Then review the people that may have been added or edited during the period you are concerned with. You will need to manually enter the changes into your primary database or if it's a new person you can drag n drop them into the database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I really appreciate you helping me, thank you.
What a day I've had! what with the heat and trying to sort out this mess, don't ask how I sorted it, have'nt a clue really, but I have got most of it back, there are just some census that seem to be missing, one batch of family it seems, can't understand it, can't seem to find that bunch anywhere, I opened up the backups in another folder and had them side by side on the database, don't know if I did it right but thats what happened anyway, I dragged some people across, I've merged and goodness knows what else I've done today, I can't tell if everything is how it should be really I can't possibly go through each and everyone, but it does seem to be mostly Ok apart from that one bunch, just can't seem to get them sorted, but I've given up on it now, it's had me pulling my hair out I can tell 'ya! LOL
I've renamed the database file so I'll always know which one it is now, I've deleted some that just don't seem to be needed and also deleted some of the backups, there was rather alot, I've backed it all up on a second drive and I've also got backups in my e-mail account, phew, have I done Ok do 'ya think?