19 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Just downoaded and updated to 6.3 and I am getting constant Access Violation Errors so I would expect another update in the now too distant future.

This particular database only has 14K individiuals.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 trainersbuk

trainersbuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

I was getting this too, but when using the previous version & mainly when using the new FamilySearch function.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for notice. Think I will wait until the problems are fixed.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

No problems here.
Jack

a posteriori

#5 nitirowi

nitirowi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Problem appears to be caused around "unattached"/single individuals in the database - I cannot access ~10,000 "single" people held on my database of ~360,000

#6 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I just updated this morning and am getting it (access violation at address 00FBF7CD) on three people who I have in as duplicates. I tried compacting and got a different error (SQLite Error 1-cannot VACUUM from within a transaction). I tried restoring a backup copy of my database and have the same problems.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

I have tried various sizes of database and getting it on all, haven't had time to look for a pattern yet.

The one thing that triggers it for me is to open the family screen and then select someone different on the sidebar.

Error reports have been sent ans support emailed

Posted Image

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#8 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

I cannot at this time, enter names into RM6 since the upgrade.

#9 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have not been able to duplicate this. If anyone wants to email me a backup of their database that this happens with (and let me know the steps to duplicate it), I will check to see what might be happening.

Another thought... does turning off the Problem Alerts (in Tools > File options) make the problem go away?
RootsMagician

#10 carolene

carolene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Yes, it does seem to eliminate the problem in my case. Would you like me to send you my backup?

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

We have been able to recreate the issue. Right now I do get it when looking at single people in my tree with the Problem Alert indicator on when switching from the People view to the Pedigree or Family View. I am sure there are other ways it can be triggered.

If you get stuck you can go to Tools>File Options>General and turn off the Problem Alert. Then close RootsMagic and reopen. If you turn the feature back on before the next update just don't look at single tree individuals in your database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

We have been able to recreate the issue.

Good job and for those who have not seen it.

http://www.vyger.co....s-violation.mp4

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Good job and for those who have not seen it.

http://www.vyger.co....s-violation.mp4

Once you trigger the Access Violation you keep getting it no matter which person or database you look at. Just turn off Problem Alert and then close and then reopen RootsMagic so you can continue working until the new update comes out.
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

For those who are getting the access violations is this the situation for you?

1. You are on the Family view (or are switching to the family view)
2. You have the Problem Alerts turned on
3. The person whose name it crashes on is a person who is not linked to anyone else (no spouse, parents or children)

Jackson,

I see on your video that it happens not just on an unlinked person (but is on the family view). Can you send me a backup of a small file that this is happening with so I can check that the fix I made takes care of what you are seeing as well?
RootsMagician

#15 jennifer lyon

jennifer lyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

I have been receiving these very frequently in the last week or so (have been hitting the "send message" button almost every time, so wherever the "send message" goes to should see a lot from me in the log file.

Now I just got an Access violation, and everything is frozen rock stiff in the database, with a screen that looks like everyone (71,000+ people) but 1 have disappeared from the database. Not sure I want to do a hard cancel (I do have a backup from yesterday plus a recent Gedcom export) but really not sure what my other options are at this point (since I rather need to shut the computer down for the work day).

#16 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

We just posted a new update (6.3.0.1) which should fix these access violations which some people are encountering due to the Problem Alerts feature being turned on.
RootsMagician

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Rootsmagician, it solved the problem for me and I very much like the new feature enhancement.

In conjunction with all our needs to Clean Data I would like to see more RM features brought to the top level, one that comes to mind is an indication that a Place or Place Details is geocoded, clicking on the greyed out world would take you to a new UI which would contain all the tools necessary to resolve that issue.

Place Details are not shown on various screens but this little indication would be a great advantage on People View where Place or Place Detail fields were included and again it could be a user option to have it turned on or off.

Finally it would be nice if such a feature were introduced and in line with building more concise data if any column indicator on People View could be sorted by the haves and have nots by clicking on the column header.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#18 jennifer lyon

jennifer lyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I applied the patch and everything opened successfully. I made a few minor changes to my DB to add some death dates and then just got 2 access violations and then the database seemed to close itself, as all I had then was a window similar to if you open RootsMagic with no databases. I hit "send message" to have the details of the access violation errors sent to wherever they get sent.

#19 jennifer lyon

jennifer lyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Got another one this morning after 2 edits. Now RootsMagic is locked up and I can't do anything with RootsMagic other than kill it through the Task Manager.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7654 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

1. Reboot your computer.

2. Make sure your using version 6.3.0.1 (Help>About RootsMagic)

2. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order.

3. Test if you are still have problems with the program locking up.

4. Submit a ticket with a File>Backup (.rmgb) of your database and tell us what steps to take to recreate this.
http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic