Jump to content


Photo

Won't generate site -- "Couldn't create project directory"

internet publishing

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Help! I'm finally ready to publish my work online, but it simply will not launch. I follow the steps through to the command "generate site." whereupon it always comes up with the message "Couldn't create project directory." I have made sure that my file is in the appropriate folder, and that RootsMagic should have access to it. I have been on the phone with the online help lady twice and she can't figure it out. She may be able to help me if she can get on my computer, but that may take up to a week, if I'm lucky. I had really hoped to have my site ready to show at a family reunion this weekend. I've watched the webinars on files and folders and online publishing -- very informative, but not helpful for this issue. Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, I run Windows 7 Home Premium and use Firefox. I am a research geek, but far from a techie geek. PLEASE HELP!!

#2 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

What is the full path you have selected for the project?
With Windows Explorer, browse to this folder and right-click on it to view its properties. It should not be read-only.
Maybe the problem relates to some kind of database error. Try running the items under File > Database tools from top to bottom and then try generating the website.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.


#3 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Whoa -- that went way over my head! I'll ask my kids to help me take your suggestions when they get home!

#4 KVHumiston

KVHumiston

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

:D I found the problem! I was going over the steps with my son when it popped into my head that a friend once told me not to uses slashes in file names. I had a slash in my project name. I changed it to a dash -- and the heavens opened! Hallelujah!! Thank you for your suggestions, Tom! I'm glad it had a simpler solution, and that it happened to occur to me! Now I get to check and see just what I've created . . .

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Glad you got this resolved. Normally it doesn't take a week for support to remotely view your computer. It's just that our phone lines and ticket system is backed up from people reporting the same FT API issue. So if anyone else can't get through support right now please be patient with us. We just wish more people would come to the forums in these types of cases.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 nabor

nabor

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I am having the same issues plus I could never preview the site - got an Adobe error. Finally got through it and uploaded to site but it just hung and hung and never actually uploaded. The way the instructions and webinar make it sound - the upload should happen pretty quickly - although the web site might not be populated till a bit later. In my case the upload never happened. I finally had to shut down the application. This is frustrating.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Check and make sure your firewall isn't blocking internet access for RootsMagic.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 baluo

baluo

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:33 PM

After some 25 times of "trials", I finally realised -- in my case it was the length of the path! In other words, the subfolder was embedded deep in a file structure, apparently with more than 256 characters ...