2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2983 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

This is probably more of a general genealogy question than an RM question, but perhaps it could be addressed in the context of RM.

I usually use grave markers as documentation for a person's name, birth, death, and burial. And I tend to think of grave markers as primary sources for burials, but usually as secondary sources for the other items.

However, things are often not this simple. In particular, when an individual dies it is not uncommon for a grave marker to be placed both for the deceased and for their still living spouse. For the still living spouse, there will usually be a name and a date of birth on the maker. But sometimes the still living spouse will end up being buried somewhere else. And certainly the presence of a grave marker does not necessarily mean that a person is deceased.

So what are some recommendations on handling grave markers for still living individuals within RM?

Thanks,
Jerry

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Personally, I don't do anything until I know factually that the spouse is 1) not remarried and 2) deceased.
Jack

a posteriori

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

I also do not do grave stones as documented valid information. I use them and say where I found it but find certificates or ..... to verify dates. [which have known to be wrong]

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0