• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rscano

rscano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Beginning yesterday afternoon when the technical support lines were too full to get any help, my Rootsmagic started acting crazy. The blue trees showing a connection to FamilyTree began disappearing and turning grey. If I click on a person and open the share data screen the right side shows a connection to MyFamilySearchPerson but there is no data and the tree icon is grey. If I go to the person's parents the MyFamilySearchPerson side shows a blue tree but is highlighted in yellow and the MyRootsMagic Person side shows a grey tree and yellow highlight. I have worked with RootsMagic since it came out and am fairly expert in the program and familyhistory but this has really stumped me and I hate to waste the weekend waiting for Monday to come along when the technical support guys are back....any ideas?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Are you using version 6.2.1.1 or the latest one? Click on Help>Check for updates. If so, then maybe it is simply server overload and you should check again between midnight and 8AM.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mcnerd

mcnerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Same problem started yesterday. When updating one person it won't connect properly and Roots6 ends up unlinking that person of the data it held. Frustrating. Tried again this morning and problem continues.

#4 rscano

rscano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one...the program is going nuts. :unsure: It's funny but if you unlink the person sometime it links back up...or sometimes it doesn't... and sometimes you have to unlink twice to get it linked back up...I think the program is haunted!

#5 mcnerd

mcnerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

I too thought it was just me, as a new member/user to RootsMagic. I thought it was because I was working on a line going back to the 520's and I was beginning to go crazy working online. Glad it is something else going on. And for the record I am using version 6.2.1.1 (29 Jun 2013). I'm a transplant from PAF and farther back Roots CP/M.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

It sounds as though the RootsMagic software design has not taken into account error conditions that arise from slow or lost responses from the FamilyTree server. These are still early days for both FT and for programs interfacing with FT. As Renee has repeatedly stated, server response should improve with the shutdown of the new FamilySearch servers and their transfer to FamilySearch FamilyTree. However, it is possible that FSFT may prove so popular and synchronization requests so frequent that it will take more than those servers to resolve these peak demand issues.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 mcnerd

mcnerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

It doesn't act like overloaded demand. I'm wondering if FS has tweaked their programming and it was enough that RootsMagic is no longer giving/receiving compatible instructions. Whatever it is it's very very frustrating, especially when trying to learn a new program.

#8 PDW

PDW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I see I am not the only one with this problem, just spoke to a fellow member and he is also having this same problem. What I have been doing is I have created a duplicate person and once I had him/her created I was able to merge with FT. After that I merged the newly created person with the original. I also found you could not switch therm but had to be sure the new person was on the left and merged the old person into the new one. I have not tried moving the preson to the pedigree position before trying to merge with FT but I do seem to remember something like this earlier and was able to accomplish the merge in new.familysearch.com a few versions earlier. I guess I should have tried this before posting to be sure.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3881 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

FamilySearch made an update to the FT API that obviously broke something causing the UnMatching to happen in RootsMagic. They are working on the issue right now to get this resolved.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Kent Davis

Kent Davis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I had this Problem yesterday with two people, but when I added a new person today and tried again the program worked as advertised. Nevertheless the two people I tried yesterday will still not sink with Family Tree.

#11 kmaus59

kmaus59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I am having the same problem. I did some temple work for a family member and updated her file, everything was fine. I came back a little later to discover that she and her father are showing the same problem described in this forum. I've tried to link them after Roots Magic searches FamilyTree and it won't reconnect them. Fortunately, I think it is isolated just to these two people in my files as I have over 6,000 family members in my family tree. I'm hoping that it is just a weird glitch that Roots Magic can fix easily.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3881 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

1. Make sure your using version 6.3.0.1 (Help>About RootsMagic)

2. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. The Clean Phantom Records option will fix those you are unable to match but it's best to run all Database Tools periodically on your database.

3. Test if you are still unable to match your RM person to a FT person.

4. Submit a ticket with a File>Backup (.rmgb) of your database and tell us who to test with this issue.
http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic