5 replies to this topic

#1 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Am attempting import a gedcom file with a single individual record in it. Follow the steps in the import procedure and nothing appears in the target file.
Where is the import data disappearing to?
Thanks, Ed R
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

The imported person should be the last record number in your database. So if you can't find them by name in the People view sort on the Record Number and they should be the last person.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you cannot find the person, inspect the .LST file, having the same name as your database file and in the same folder, for errors.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Strangely after closing and reopening the database a couple of time the individual showed up in the proper place.
So if I understand correctly when an gedcom appears not to import an individual:
  • Sort by record number and look at the bottom of the list (some may not be sure of how to sort by record number as RootsMagic Help does not turn up that myself.
  • Check the .LST file (look in help under 'Importing a GEDCOM file').
  • Open and close the tile a few times and hope for the best!
Thanks as always.
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

[*]Open and close the tile a few times and hope for the best!
[/list]

This is not a valid recommendation, if you mean opening and closing the program RootsMagic itself. RootsMagic will virtually always have accomplished ALL changes it needs to a database between the first time the program is closed and the next time it is opened.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, kbens0n, for whatever reason it did.
the order in which i did things after having the initial post import issue of not finding the added gedcom (there was only one individual in the file) is:
  • Search file with the integrated programs
  • Did visualize scan of entire list of individuals
  • Re-import the gedcom
  • Re-searched file with the integrated programs
  • Repeat visualize scan entire list of individuals
  • Shut down (close RM5 program)
  • Opened the file having the issue
  • Re-searched file with the intergrated programs
  • Re-did visualize scan entire list of individuals
  • Re-import the gedcom
  • Re-searched file with the integrated programs
  • Repeat visualize scan of entire list of individuals
  • Shut down (close RM5 program)
  • Submitted inquiry to RootsMagic Forum
  • Waited for responses on the Forum
  • When responses showed up reopened RM5.
  • Opened the file having the issue.
  • Was about to accomplish suggestions from the Forum and first did search for the 'missing' individual and there it was in right in the proper alphabetical location & integrated in to file structure.
My post perhaps was taken to literally as a "suggested solution". It wasn't, it was a recapitulation of what had occurred.
I don;t know why it occurred that way and honestly the effort may be better spent in finding individuals to add to the file.

I do thank you for making a point about the capability of RootsMagic software and using the standard procedures to obtain the results. In this case i wasn't' able to find a troubleshooting procedure so I followed my motto while waiting.

RM is the best value and best process I've seen! Wishing you the best in your own research projects.
Ed R
Adopt, Adapt & Improve.