• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tamlyn

Tamlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

How can we manually mark that all ordinances are complete for an individual?

Right now, even if ordinances are complete, if Family Search shows some deficiency (such as multiple sealings to the same parents) Roots Magic is putting a yellow triangle icon on the temple. If we can see that the ordinances really are complete we should be able to mark them some way so that they show up as needing temple work.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

In RootsMagic there are a couple of ways to do that.
1. You can add the ordinance fact on the Edit Person screen and then on the right change the status to Complete.
2. On the the Edit Person screen click on the "LDS Fact" button and under that ordinance you can change the status to Complete.
3. On the Ordinance tab on the FamilySearch Person Tools click the "Edit ordinances in RootsMagic" button and it will bring up the "LDS Fact" screen so you can change the status for that fact.

The nice short cut about using the "LDS Fact" screen is it will add those facts to the person automatically for you.

But, even with all that I suspect this isn't your real issue. You say your seeing the yellow triangle icon on the temple icon. Changing the fact inside RM will not change what is coming from the Temple API with Family Tree. To change that you need to either merge duplicate parents out on Family Tree itself or delete the duplicate relationships to the same parents on FT. If you are just seeing duplicate ordinances on FT it would be the Temple API bug that is not being updated when relationships on FT are changed. FamilySearch tells us that won't be fixed until the NFS/FT connection is finally severed.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think what Tamlyn is asking for is some way to have RootsMagic override what it displays as the FT status. For example, I have a grandmother that was married for a brief time followed by a divorce (no children) and the marriage to my grandfather. In RM it shows here are ready/needing ordinances (Sealing to Spouse). We have decided as a family that we are NOT going to perform the sealing to her first husband. But in RM there is no way get rid of her always showing up in persons ready/needing ordinances and showing the little green arrow. RM magic actually allows a status of DNS (Do not Seal) but it has no affect on the FT status. I think it should.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Right now there isn't anyway to override the status of the temple icon displayed inside of RM. That is because it is coming directly from the Temple API. We do have an enhancement request in our tracking system for RM to have some way of defining the status for your record.

For now some people use color-coding to "flag" the people they do not need to worry about their ordinances. The color-coding will appear in the FamilySearch Person Tools lists so when you filter the lists you can spot the ones you can skip over.

Myself I have made a FSFT fact and add key words in the description field and notes to filter on to make groups and reports so I can manage what I'm working on. One of these days I will write an article on my personal blog describing my process. When I do I will put a link here on the forums in case its helpful.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Tamlyn

Tamlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

Kevin, thank you. You said what I need in a more elegant way. What we are really looking for is a way to override FT status in RM.

Renee, thank you. I use color coding for the 4 grandparent lines and so wonder if i can use an additional color for flagging complete ordinances. I am not certain how that would work, or if I am willing to edit hundreds of people's colors.

Renee,I am very interested in the FSFT fact and keyword method you are describing and look forward to your article.

#6 Tamlyn

Tamlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Here is an example of why we need to be able to manually mark a person's ordinances as being completed, even though FT thinks we need to do more.

Example: Richard Hammersley (KPQF-KWK). This man has all his ordinances complete, including a sealing to his spouse. Family Tree shows that two more sealings to the same spouse need done - one needs more information and is marked with a yellow triangle, and the other is marked with a green arrow as ready to request. Because of these two additional erroneous and incomplete sealings in FT, Roots Magic is marking Richard as needing temple work, when in fact he does not.

I have about 75 individuals with this kind of problem - so it makes it hard and time consuming to sort through who really needs work done.

Has the request for manually marking a person's work as "complete" been adequately explained to Root's Magic, or do we need to file some form of official request.

I sure love this program and recommend it often.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Renee, thank you. I use color coding for the 4 grandparent lines and so wonder if i can use an additional color for flagging complete ordinances. I am not certain how that would work, or if I am willing to edit hundreds of people's colors.

Renee,I am very interested in the FSFT fact and keyword method you are describing and look forward to your article.

I am not LDS so I can't check my color coding ideas out for completed ordinances, but perhaps you can experiment.

If you want to keep your ancestors color coded the way they are, do this first. Create Groups for each color code using the Color Code as a search filter. And after you have color coded using the LDS facts, color code them again by Group on the Color code screen.

You might want to then start with Color Coding everyone in your database that has been matched:

Create a Group:
FamilySearch ID is not blank.
Use the Group to Color Code. I chose Blue as the Tree icon is Blue when a person is matched.

Color coding people with completed ordinances:
I am assuming "completed ordinances" means a person has all the LDS facts in RM. You should be able to construct a search filter to Mark People using the LDS facts. I would start with creating a Group.
Search:
[First fact] exists is True
AND [second fact] exists is True
AND [third fact] exists is True

Continue for all the LDS facts. IF you run out of space on the search screen, Click on OK and select Mark people again, clear the screen and do the rest of the LDS facts. I'm not on my computer to check how many LDS facts there are and how many you can search at one time on the screen.

When you have the Group made, Color code by the Group.

You might also want to create a Group of people that do not have completed ordinances and color code them. To do that you use the same facts and exists is False.

Then color code your 75 or so people another color manually. Silver will make their color coding less noticeable on the monitor or Red makes them stand out as a problem. Then create a Group of those people using the color coding as a search filter.

Or if you don't want those 75 people color coded differently because they do have completed ordinances, enable the description for the LDS facts, and put keywords in the description for the fact and use the fact description as a search filter. You don't have to change the sentence to include [desc] if you don't want the description to print in a Narrative.

RM does not automatically add new people to a Group. So you have some choices, Edit the group and rerun the criteria or manually mark new people and color code the Group again. Or, color code the person individually as you work with them and edit the Group using the color code as the search criteria.

#8 Tamlyn

Tamlyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Laura, thank you for your careful response - I will do some experimenting and creative thinking as you suggest. Thank you for sharing ideas on how to proceed.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Has the request for manually marking a person's work as "complete" been adequately explained to Root's Magic, or do we need to file some form of official request.

The need is totally understood by RootsMagic so you don't need to submit anything additional.
Renee
RootsMagic