7 replies to this topic

#1 Rick H

Rick H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

On 6-Jul-2013 at 18:08 EDT this Publish Online was created from one of my databases. The Index of names shows names in my data yet below is the opening page. Also note that it was created on 6-Jul and the time stamp at the bottom of the opening page showed about 6 months in the past (though I guess this page could have been generated back in Jan?). I have not been able to recreate it since.

\s\Rick

RM 6.2.1.1
Windows XP SP3 and patched up
2GB main memory, 6GB Virtual Memory
Default browser Chrome (v27)

----------------------------------------Opening page------------------------------------------------------------------
The James Smith Family (A Sample Website)

This is a sample website with purely fictional people and fictional data. It is an example of the type of online web presence you can

create with RootsMagic 6.

Links

Index of Names
Pedigree Chart
RootsMagic Genealogy Software
Free RootsMagic Webinars

Created 8 January 2013 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

----------------------------------------Opening page------------------------------------------------------------------The James Smith Family (A Sample Website)This is a sample website with purely fictional people and fictional data. It is an example of the type of online web presence you cancreate with RootsMagic 6.LinksIndex of NamesPedigree ChartRootsMagic Genealogy SoftwareFree RootsMagic WebinarsCreated 8 January 2013 with RootsMagic Genealogy Software

The above information is the contents of the index.html file contained within the WebFiles.zip archive located in the installation directory for every user of RootsMagic 6.Posted Image

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Rick H

Rick H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Now I know where it came from but where is MY home page? It had my Name List but not my home page?

\s\Rick

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

When you choose
Internet->Publish Online->Publish my information online
the Enter basic details block has a folder path listed to the right of the Project folder button. That is the path where these files are going to be stored on your computer before they are uploaded to the host Rootsmagic.com site. When you finish the dialogs, that folder should contain an index.html (similar to the default one above) that pertains specifically to the website soon to be or already uploaded.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Rick H

Rick H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

To be clear I was not really asking where my Home page was or where this page literally came from I was asking why did this other page get slipped into my data. Don't forget the Name List from my database was available as well. This appeared in the Preview of my published data, I do not put it online.

\s\Rick

#6 Rick H

Rick H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Dang, I just now realized that I got this in Discussion when I intended Issues. Can someone move this or is it forever stuck here?

\s\Rick

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

To be clear I was not really asking where my Home page was or where this page literally came from I was asking why did this other page get slipped into my data. Don't forget the Name List from my database was available as well. This appeared in the Preview of my published data, I do not put it online.

It's hard to tell what might have been at play during that occasion. Apparently you cannot replicate it and there doesn't appear to be anyone who has reported a similar set of circumstances.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

If you repeatedly 'publish' to the same folder, you should probably empty the folder first. Inspect the folder and see if you have older files in it - they are leftovers from a previous run. Much of this website runs on Javascript - possibly it picks up pages with a certain name and displays links to them.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.