4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hi
This may be a daft question, but how do I create a source that links directly to the FamilySearch website record for an event?

In the latest Rootsmagic webinar, Bruce demonstrated how to capture a source from the Familysearch Tree side which included a clickable link to the record for a death for Elizabeth Trathen Warren. He was able to do that because a clickable source link existed already in the Familysearch Genealogies database.

I realise that on Rootsmagic 6 I can create a source, make notes and footnotes and then use the web tag option for an event to record where it came from.

But can I get a clickable link in the source, similar to the one Bruce had for Elizabeth of one doesn't already exist in Familysearch?
And if so, how?

Thank you!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

No you cannot get a clickable link embedded in a citation footnote in RootsMagic (unless I have missed something). The best you can do is to embed the URL which a reader or viewer can copy and paste into a web browser. It is possible that some browser or RTF reader might recognize the string pattern as a URL and convert it to a hyperlink.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

The only source WebTag that will be visible in RM and then transfer over to FT sources is the first WebTag added under the Master Text tab on the RM Edit Source screen.

I was just testing editing the Citation WebTag found under the Detail Text tab to temporarily switch it to a Master Source WebTag and it doesn't appear to be saving. I have sent that issue to development. If we could get that to work then you could just temporarily switch your Citation WebTag to a Master Source WebTag so you can move the link over to FT.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Tom & Renee :)

#5 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

There is already an enhancement request to use the Citation WebTag found under the Detail Text tab if there is no WebTag present in the Master Source. Hopefully this enhancement will be available shortly.