• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lisaratz

lisaratz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

When I try to import six generations of descendants, RootsMagic downloads about 1500 people, and then goes into an endless loop. When I go into Task Manager, RootsMagic is using 98-100% of my CPU. I cannot cancel out of the download, and my only option is to go into Task Manager, applications, select RootsMagic, and End Task.

To duplicate, to to FamilySearch Central, log in. Click on Import, Start Person is PID KWVQ-326, set number of ancestor generations to 0 and number of Descendant generations to 6. I have not been able to get a complete file.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

If it is stuck at a particular person, I wonder if it might be worthwhile testing an import of that person with 1 generation of descendants and examining closely what is shown on FSFT for them. If you cannot tell from the Import screen which person that might be, look for the person with the highest record number in People View, with a column set to display the RIN and sorted thereon. What relationship does the stuck person have to the starting person? At 1500 persons, I should think that the import covered all or most of 5 generations - would it be into the third great grandchildren? That said, I am not sure how the import trail proceeds - perhaps it does not go down a generation at a time but rather descends each line to its end.

During Import, RootsMagic never pushes my dual CPU higher than about 18%, most of the time <10% and memory consumption stays in the neighbourhood of 40MB. I have not replicated your import although I started one at the same person, 5 generations deep, to see if it completed. I may not have time to let it complete as I need to work with RootsMagic on other things.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Wouldn't you know it? 5 generations completed successfully at 1496 persons, the last (with Record Number 1496) being Kurt Hauberg JENSEN (KW8N-4QZ). Does that person match your RIN (I assume you imported to a new database)? If it does match, then we can reasonably conclude that the number of generations does not affect the procedure RootsMagic-FSFT follow to descend the tree from the root ancestor.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Wouldn't you know it? 5 generations completed successfully at 1496 persons, the last (with Record Number 1496) being Kurt Hauberg JENSEN (KW8N-4QZ). Does that person match your RIN (I assume you imported to a new database)? If it does match, then we can reasonably conclude that the number of generations does not affect the procedure RootsMagic-FSFT follow to descend the tree from the root ancestor.

The complete 6-generation import was successful, with 1531 people, 562 families, 4340 events and 1602 places.

I'll send you the rmgc file if you want it.

#5 lisaratz

lisaratz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

I appreciate your responses. There are eight ancestors that I'm trying to download descendants for, and only two of them completed. The remaining six all went into an endless loop at various points. Since others are able to download successfully, I'm wondering if an internet connection hiccup is causing the problem. I would like to see RootsMagic address this issue. It would be very helpful if there were a "retry" option to continue downloading.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Various people might get different results when doing an Import based on your rights to see private people's information. If the Import is looping you need to check on Family Tree if there are any loops going on there in the family, with incorrect linking to parents.

FamilySearch is also running very slowly right now. Has been for a couple of days. The FT API servers are getting maxed out and that could be causing some issues for you to with the download being throttled.

I am running the import now and it will be a while before I get results. Based on Tom's results it looks like you are getting into the living people situation and your rights to access the information. I will let you know if I see anything different.

The reason RootsMagic cannot resume an Import where it left off, is because the FT API is not capable of doing that. This is a limitation in place by FamilySearch.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 lisaratz

lisaratz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

The term "endless loop" is a computer term that means a program is asking the processor to do something it cannot come out of. That is what the CPU usage is indicating. The loop is not referring to any record looping in Family Tree.

Since others are able to download the descendant records without a problem, and since the program freezes on a different person each time I try to download, the problem is not due to any particular record in Family Tree. Also, I have experienced this problem ever since RootsMagic came out with Family Tree support.

I understand Family Tree has limitations in the FT API servers, but RootsMagic needs to put some error detection in place for this problem. Is it possible to forward this to development?

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

I just ran a test and I only got 621 people it stopped at Merrill Dee Steward b. 1927 d. 2001. What this suggests to me is we are bumping up against the living wall. Try only downloading 5 generations.

Today is not a good day to be testing this feature. Everyone and their brother are trying to Import from FT and NFS right now. It's just simply over-whelming FamilySearch's servers and they are being forced to throttle us and time out the connections. The moment RootsMagic released 6.2 so it would support working with sources on Family Tree and FamilySearch announced the death of PAF the server traffic has skyrocketed. We just need things to settle down. Help others out by not using Import right now.

Development is aware of what's happening.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

I am running the import now and it will be a while before I get results. Based on Tom's results it looks like you are getting into the living people situation and your rights to access the information. I will let you know if I see anything different.

That isn't a valid argument, because I got the full 6-generation download successfully.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I just ran a test and I only got 621 people it stopped at Merrill Dee Steward b. 1927 d. 2001. What this suggests to me is we are bumping up against the living wall.

Ludlow Bay is correct. If his 6-gen. download succeeded where other identical ones failed, and, if we are all using the same software, then the only cause must be an interruption in the download service by FSFT servers, the Internet or some process on the computer.

#11 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

What this suggests to me is we are bumping up against the living wall.

Were this true (which it is not), I'm not sure how one would be supposed to approach "the living wall". I assume you are indicating that some internal process with the import routine should be smart enough to bypass living persons and not cause the program to hang - certainly you don't expect users to know the exact cutoff point to avoid bumping into these dastardly living persons. You don't acknowledge that this is a program bug, but one could make the implication that it is the users fault. Which is it?

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I also just imported all the 6 generations without a problem on my Windows 7 pro tablet.

I waited until 5:15 pm MDT to start the import as I decided that might be a good time for lower usage on the FSFT servers. People traveling after work or eating dinner. I can't eliminate the problem being FSFT´s servers.

I had RootsMagic only selected for CPU usage and never saw it go over 8%.

I had closed any other programs except those which ordinarily run in the background like my antivirus program.

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Forget the whole thing about the living wall. Just know that people will get different results based on their permission to view or access living people's information. If you have a living person between a deceased person you will probably experience difficulty in downloading pass them. That is because living people are on a separate server than deceased individuals.

The whole issue with the Import has been an issue with servers on FamilySearch being over maxed. Only so many are allocated for the FT API. They are waiting to increase the amount of servers supporting it with those that are currently supporting the NFS API. We just have to wait for the dust to settle. FamilySearch did not anticipate the increased traffic when the supporting of sources and the demise of PAF was announced. The funny thing with servers, you can happen to get a connection to one that's really fast. Then at other times you get a bad connection. It's the luck of the draw. Using the Import feature is putting a big strain on the system so it's being throttled.
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 lisaratz

lisaratz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for testing this problem, and for all the input. Renee: I understand what you are saying about the servers timing out. I'll wait until the dust settles. In the meantime, could you please report this problem to development? Programs should not freeze when a server times out. Usually, the program will return an error message and allow the user to continue working. Thanks!

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Issue is noted in tracking system for development to look at.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 lisaratz

lisaratz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thank you!

#17 Easy7

Easy7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

I, too had this problem, using a new install of the software. After 2390 individuals and 870 families it hangs for 6 hours with 25% CPU utilization. Yiu have to kill the program with the task manager, which also wiped out all the work prior to the import and the imported records. If the program has a problem it should fail gracefully. At least the cancel button should work.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Here's the scoop. RootsMagic has code built in to check for time outs by FamilySearch, that should release the connection automatically. If FamilySearch doesn't time out but hangs because of their servers being overwhelmed RootsMagic could sit there all day waiting for it to complete. You can use the Cancel to kill the Import and anything already Imported would be saved.

With the recent FT API bug it was affecting more than just UnMatching. The worst time to be doing an Import was between last Friday (12th) and Tues (16th). Lots of weird stuff was happening and we saw what you are describing taking place with your Import. FamilySearch FT API should be fixed now. The next step is to make sure you are running RM 6.3.0.1 that we released this morning.

The bottom line is ALWAYS do a FamilySearch Import ONLY in a blank database. After the Import you can decide if you want to move that data into your primary database. Following this procedure will prevent any future heartache with your database.
Renee
RootsMagic