• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maryfowlerleek

maryfowlerleek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I allowed the trial of Rootsmagic 6 to uninstall my registered version of Rootsmagic 5. The pop up screen said no data would be lost. However, the attachment to hundreds of photos is lost.

Is this a result of the trial? There is no information I can find to explain why this has happened and what is needed to remedy the situation.

If I purchase the full program, will my photos display in my database file once again?

My thanks for your assistance.

Mary

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

If you can still find your photos using Windows Explorer and they are still in the same place as they were when they were attached to your database, then the only explanations I can think of are that either you opened a new database or an older one that had none attached. Registering will make no difference to the links to the photos.

In the Media Gallery, use the tool Fix Broken Media links if your thumbnail images it displays have a graphic of a broken chain link crossing through them.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 maryfowlerleek

maryfowlerleek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Fix Broken Media Links isn't available in the trial version. No thumbnail images graphic is shown anywhere. It is as if I never had the photos linked, yet in v5, all were there.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mary

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

If you are sure you have the right database open, try this:
Tools > Program Options > General > check the bottom box "Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery". Then open the Media Gallery. Assuming that the media is still attached, RM will busy itself for quite awhile building the thumbnails.

BTW, "Fix broken media links" is under Tools in the Media Gallery.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

How did you get your RM5 database into RM6? Did you open it directly or use a GEDCOM? If you used a GEDCOM you may have forgotten to check to include media links. The best things to do is simply open the RM5 database inside of RM6 and let it convert it.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Mary let the installation of Version 6 remove her Version 5. However, if she had kept Version 5, she could have 'restored' a Version 5 backup into her trial Version 6 format. It would have informed her of the change of database format. The advantage is that she would not have had any concern about destroying her Version 5 database if she wanted to go back to using it. Of course, she could have restored her most recent Version 5 backup with the Version 5 software.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

She can restore a version five backup with version 6.

I have done it several times.
Alfred