• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KFN

KFN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

How compliant is roots magic with GEDCOM 5.5 or 5.5.1?

I keep my genealogy in a very 5.5.1 compliant personally developed data base. I use multiple NAME tags never _AKA and a TYPE tag. I use many other tags that are kicked out by programs like FTM and PAF. FACT and EVEN tags. Events with TYPE and CAUS. DEAT Y when I don't have a date or place.

Does RM have some kind of list of supported tags?

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2599 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

How compliant is roots magic with GEDCOM 5.5 or 5.5.1?

I keep my genealogy in a very 5.5.1 compliant personally developed data base. I use multiple NAME tags never _AKA and a TYPE tag. I use many other tags that are kicked out by programs like FTM and PAF. FACT and EVEN tags. Events with TYPE and CAUS. DEAT Y when I don't have a date or place.

Does RM have some kind of list of supported tags?

-5.5.1 is specified in the RM-exported GEDCOM
-No two programs handle 5.5.1 interpretation the same or completely. You can probably get a better understanding by importing one of your hand-crafted GEDCOMs into RM and whatever it cannot (ie. chooses not to) interpret ...winds up in a .LST file (for your perusal) in the same directory where the created database (from the import) resides.
-No, there has been no list of supported tags put out that I recall.
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#3 KFN

KFN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks. I had to do the same thing when I bought FTM and was very disappointed. The purchase was a loss! I realize that one programs GEDCOM is not another so I treading with caution. This one of the reason I wrote my own in the first place. The first couple of program I used each had some good points and some bad, but none were great just average.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3567 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

You don't have to pay to find out if RootsMagic works well enough with your GEDCOM. The free version imports and exports GEDCOM.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.