3 replies to this topic

#1 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

:wub: I was excited about this feature UNTIL I found that the Repository is not being migrated over to Family Tree--a source without a repository is rather useless and I really don't want to go to the trouble of migrating over my 5,000 sources in my database without the Repository!

Why was this released without the capability?

Is this the final version of this feature?

Also, why can't I move sources over for other events than the Name, birth, marriage, death, etc? :wub:

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

RM will change to comply with the newest LDS API as the LDS FamilySearch Family Tree programmers make changes and adds new features. LDS has the control of what RM can upload to and download from FSFT.

The only control RM has is how that data is handled within RM. And LDS may have some say in that since RM had to be certified.

If you want the Repositories in FSFT, try adding them into whatever section of of the master source is uploaded to FSFT.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

We have a Knowledge Base article that should answer your questions.
http://support.roots...rch-Family-Tree

Transferring sources between RootsMagic and FamilySearch Family Tree

RootsMagic 6.2 and later allows you to view the sources for a RootsMagic person and a FamilySearch Family Tree person side by side, as well as transferring those sources back and forth.

RootsMagic and FamilySearch treat sources in very different ways, which may lead to some confusion when trying to transfer sources back and forth. Here is an overview of some of those differences and issues you may encounter.
  • FamilySearch Family Tree only allows sources to be "attached" to people and families (not events like in RootsMagic).
  • A source "attached" to a person in FamilySearch can also be "tagged to" 6 different items: name, gender, birth, christening, death, and burial. This tagging only tags the fact "type" on FamilySearch, not a fact itself. This means if you tag the Name with a source, it is tagged to all names, not just a specific name.
  • FamilySearch currently does not support tagging any other fact type with sources, so you can't attach or tag a marriage event, occupation event, etc. on FamilySearch.
  • FamilySearch sources do not have fields to support repositories, many of the text/comments fields provided in RootsMagic, media, etc. When transferring a source to FamilySearch, RootsMagic will attempt to send as much information as FamilySearch is capable of holding.
  • FamilySearch supports one (1) URL per source. If you transfer a source which has WebTags attached, RootsMagic will send the first WebTag URL for the source to FamilySearch. Note that RootsMagic uses the master source WebTags and not the specific source detail WebTags since the FamilySearch source will not be attached to specific facts.
  • When adding a new source to FamilySearch, you can "attach" the source to the person or families, and "tag" the source to any of the supported facts all at once. If you "tag" a fact type RootsMagic will automatically "attach" the source to the person for you as well.
  • When bringing a source into RootsMagic from FamilySearch, you can attach it to the person or any of his / her facts at the same time. RootsMagic will create a "free form" source since FamilySearch does not support templates.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

It looks like your fix is the only answer--to transfer data from the Repository into another portion of the Source Citation. Maybe RM or another Third party affiliate will alert themselves to this major problem--I imagine many, many users who want to synch with Family Tree will realize this, but if they have been researching for years, they will have thousands of sources and Repositories and to go in and manually do that may not take the trouble to do this transfer.

One of the valuable advantages of sources being synched to Family Tree is to help others realize your data is valid and not try to change it, but without Repository information, they may not be able to spot check the original records.

My source data was imported along with the other records from Legacy and so are appearing in RM as Generic source templates.

Since RM still has Repository as one of the Fields in the Source Template, I am sure most of us have used that and to go into each and every source and copy/paste that date into another field--we probably won't do it.

Whatever Third Party Affiliate can come up with a work-around to getting the Repository Information into the Source fields that are synchable will be my choice. Source information, including the Repository is important enough for valid research should be given Top Priority by both FamilySearch API developers and the Third Party Affiliate programmers.

I will leave messages on the FamilySearch Blog--also why only synching with the Vital records and not the "other" events and facts.

Thanks
Pat