• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markharless

markharless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I need to update ordinace info in my RM darabase. When I click the "copy to rootsmagic" button to update the information in RM it does not update. Why?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

You posted in the RootsMagic 5 forum so I gather that is the version you are using. Any version of RootsMagic prior to 6.1 is still syncing with New FamilySearch. That website is slowly being shut down by FamilySearch. If you have RootsMagic 6.1 or higher it will sync with its replacement FamilySearch Family Tree. We just released version 6.2 so you will want to make sure you are using that version now.

RootsMagic no longer supports working with NFS, the website and API are just to unstable. On June 30, 2013 it will effectively go into read-only status and you won't be able to write to it at all.

If you are seeing the ordinances not transfer over from NFS to your RootsMagic database then there is a problem in the API. It more than likely will never be fixed. I would just stop using it.

You will need to upgrade to RootsMagic 6.2.0.0. You can use RootsMagic Essentials in that version if you do not wish to purchase the full program at this time. Once you convert your RM5 database into the RM6 file you cannot open it in RM5 again. Make a backup of your RM5 database before you convert.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 markharless

markharless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Renee,

The version I am using is 6.2. Upon further use I have found the "copy to rootsmagic" only works if the RM database has nothing in the ordinace field. Often there is already a date there of when I submitted the name for temple work. The only way I have found to work around this is to manually edit the roots magic ordinance data. Do you know of a way to fix this?

#4 markharless

markharless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

I am wondering if RM 6.2 has any ability to sync with Family Tree when it comes to updating ordinance info.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

RootsMagic will sync with Family Tree if you are using 6.1 or later. You want to at least be using 6.2 so you can work with the collaborative features on Family Tree.

Sync does not move any data back and forth. You need to tell RM to either move or download data between Family Tree one person or fact at a time. If you add a person from FT into RM you will receive the ordinance data if you are using an LDS account. If the person was already in RM then you need to go to the Ordinance tab to move the ordinance facts to RM.

If you already have ordinances in RM but need to update them you can add them off the Ordinance tab to RM and then open the Edit Person screen to delete the duplicate facts you might now have.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 markharless

markharless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Renee,

I am using an LDS Account but I am really struggling with updating ordinance info.
You said, "Sync does not move any data back and forth. You need to tell RM to either move or download data between Family Tree one person or fact at a time."

Here are some questions:
1.) How can something can be said to "sync" if the data does not change as a result?
2.) I can see no way for RM 6.2 to really interact with FamilyTree like it did with FamilySearch. The only thing it can do is pull up a name on FamilyTree with "show on FamilyTree" button. When I push that button it brings up a browser window but I can find no way to sync my RM 6.2 data from that FamilyTree browser window. Am I missing something? Is it necessary to manually edit the RM data to match the updated ordinance info on FamilyTree?

Thanks.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

There are a couple of steps to syncing. The first is to match your RootsMagic person to a person on Family Tree. We often just refer to this as syncing. You do this on the FamilySearch Person Tools under Find Matches. Once they are synced up/matched you can then switch to the Share Data tab to control what information you which to send back and forth.

All the interaction between RootsMagic and the Family Tree are internal to the program. I'm having a hard time with your description to tell what you are trying to do. It's probably best to start at the beginning and watch the new webinar we did last night as soon as it is put online at http://www.rootsmagic.com/Webinars/ - It will be webinar #50. Using FamilySearch Family Tree with RootsMagic 6.

There are a few videos you can watch off this page too - http://www.rootsmagi...m/FamilySearch/

As for ordinances you can manually move them from FT to RM. If you already had that ordinance in your database it will create a duplicate fact. So you might have to go in and delete the old one. Personally, once I know the work has been don't I don't care what date I have in RM. I know some people that don't even add the ordinances to their RM database. They just see that FT shows them done and move on.
Renee
RootsMagic