12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Family Tree allows sources to be URL, especially when the URL is to information on FamilySearch. For each of my citations for a source I have a WebTag on the DetailText Tab that has the URL of the source. When I copy a citation/source from RM to FT, the WebTag URL is not copied. When copying the source from RM to FT please allow the URL from the WebTag to also be copied. The user could prompted if they want the URL copied or not.

#2 Wallace W Carroll

Wallace W Carroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

RM 6.2.0.0 appears to only be copying from RM sources to FT the follow:
Source Name to Source Title.
Footnote to Where the Record I Found (Citation)

Missing (by design or a bug?)
Source ref
Detail ref
Research notes
Detail comments

Because I have many transcriptions of the actual text in sources, I was very excited to see 6.2.0.0 and very sad to not see theme copied to FT. Could you put all the RM fields with labels into FT’s Note field?

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

We have a Knowledge Base article that should answer your questions.
http://support.roots...rch-Family-Tree

Transferring sources between RootsMagic and FamilySearch Family Tree

RootsMagic 6.2 and later allows you to view the sources for a RootsMagic person and a FamilySearch Family Tree person side by side, as well as transferring those sources back and forth.

RootsMagic and FamilySearch treat sources in very different ways, which may lead to some confusion when trying to transfer sources back and forth. Here is an overview of some of those differences and issues you may encounter.
  • FamilySearch Family Tree only allows sources to be "attached" to people and families (not events like in RootsMagic).
  • A source "attached" to a person in FamilySearch can also be "tagged to" 6 different items: name, gender, birth, christening, death, and burial. This tagging only tags the fact "type" on FamilySearch, not a fact itself. This means if you tag the Name with a source, it is tagged to all names, not just a specific name.
  • FamilySearch currently does not support tagging any other fact type with sources, so you can't attach or tag a marriage event, occupation event, etc. on FamilySearch.
  • FamilySearch sources do not have fields to support repositories, many of the text/comments fields provided in RootsMagic, media, etc. When transferring a source to FamilySearch, RootsMagic will attempt to send as much information as FamilySearch is capable of holding.
  • FamilySearch supports one (1) URL per source. If you transfer a source which has WebTags attached, RootsMagic will send the first WebTag URL for the source to FamilySearch. Note that RootsMagic uses the master source WebTags and not the specific source detail WebTags since the FamilySearch source will not be attached to specific facts.
  • When adding a new source to FamilySearch, you can "attach" the source to the person or families, and "tag" the source to any of the supported facts all at once. If you "tag" a fact type RootsMagic will automatically "attach" the source to the person for you as well.
  • When bringing a source into RootsMagic from FamilySearch, you can attach it to the person or any of his / her facts at the same time. RootsMagic will create a "free form" source since FamilySearch does not support templates.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

What is transferred to FSFT? Is it:
  • the footnote sentence as we see in RM reports, or
  • the concatenation of the TITL and PAGE values that RM exports to standard GEDCOM, or
  • something else?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

It will include the full footnote so that is the Master Source and Source Details. Then it also includes the Master Source Text (not comments) and 1st WebTag. It's not accepting anything else right now.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Can I suggest that if the Master Source does NOT have a WebTag that the Web Tag from the Source Detail be Attached, or even let the user choose. I understand that the Source in FT is not attached to a specific fact but in general the WebTag associated with the SourceDetail is probably more useful (probably person specific) than the WebTag associated with the MasterSource which would generally be an entire book, webSite (e.g. findAGarge), a database (e.g. "Wiscon Birth Records 1800-1900") on a webSite (e,g, Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org), etc.

Of coure is one is use Extreme Splitting of sources the current approach works fine, but I guess that most people are not using Extreme Splitting.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

So a source transferred from FSFT to RM goes into the Footnote field of Free Form? Replicated in Short Footnote and Bibliography? Nada in the Source Details Page field?

If so, every unique citation of a common Master Source from RM transfers to a unique source in FSFT and then back to a unique Master Source in RM?

If so, voila! Jerry! A converter from lumped sources to Extreme Splits.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Wallace W Carroll

Wallace W Carroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

In your fourth bullet you say that FamilySearch sources do not have fields to support repositories, many of the text/comments fields provided in RootsMagic, media, etc. When transferring a source to FamilySearch, RootsMagic will attempt to send as much information as FamilySearch is capable of holding.

So could you give me the option to put all the RM fields with labels into FT’s Note field? I would love it.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Can I suggest that if the Master Source does NOT have a WebTag that the Web Tag from the Source Detail be Attached, or even let the user choose. I understand that the Source in FT is not attached to a specific fact but in general the WebTag associated with the SourceDetail is probably more useful (probably person specific) than the WebTag associated with the MasterSource which would generally be an entire book, webSite (e.g. findAGarge), a database (e.g. "Wiscon Birth Records 1800-1900") on a webSite (e,g, Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org), etc.

Of coure is one is use Extreme Splitting of sources the current approach works fine, but I guess that most people are not using Extreme Splitting.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

So a source transferred from FSFT to RM goes into the Footnote field of Free Form? Replicated in Short Footnote and Bibliography? Nada in the Source Details Page field?

If so, every unique citation of a common Master Source from RM transfers to a unique source in FSFT and then back to a unique Master Source in RM?

If so, voila! Jerry! A converter from lumped sources to Extreme Splits.

Yes, I understand it would work perfectly for Jerry too.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

In your fourth bullet you say that FamilySearch sources do not have fields to support repositories, many of the text/comments fields provided in RootsMagic, media, etc. When transferring a source to FamilySearch, RootsMagic will attempt to send as much information as FamilySearch is capable of holding.

So could you give me the option to put all the RM fields with labels into FT’s Note field? I would love it.

The Family Tree will have the option soon in the API to transfer notes. So we can't make extra things that don't transfer over to FT from RM sources go into a note field. FamilySearch needs to allow the transfer of more data to the FT Sources in their API so we can send everything.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Wallace W Carroll

Wallace W Carroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Renee:

If I understood what you said about the note field in a source, the API does not yet allow transferring anything into a FT Source's Note field. Is that correct? When the API does allow it, do you plan to transfer all the RM source data into a FT source or just certain fields? Will the RM user have any configuration control over which fields transfer?

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

We want to be able to send everything over to FT, so if the FT API will support it we will add that capability.

The only sections in the RM Sources right now that go over to FSFT is best understood if you open the Edit Source screen.

Citation Tab - all information included in transfer to FT (Master Source & Source Details sections)
Master Text Tab - Only the Source Text, Not the Source Comments. It will also include the first WebTag that you have attached on this page.

None of the other sections are able to be transfer over right now.
Renee
RootsMagic