2 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

If I want to find all persons that were listed in a specific county during a specific census, it does not seem to work when shared census facts are used. It only seems to find those people to whom the census fact is the primary fact, not those to which it is shared. This seems like a bug.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Its been that way since the Shared Fact has been added to the software. One reason why I do not use Shared Fact....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

The Shared facts don't copy the facts to the Sharee and is not linked to them.

The shared facts are only displayed in the Sharees' record with the icon that shows it was a shared fact. The facts are not linked to the Sharee, just the Principal. This allows roles to be assigned to the Sharees with separate sentences and separate notes for the Sharee in a Narrative report.

I do use Shared facts for some things but not for any fact I want the Sharee linked to, i.e. census or facts which need to be included in a gedcom to share with someone else.

A shared fact can be very useful when printed in a narrative report or shown on a person's Timeline view.

I share the marriage fact with both spouses when I want the marriage printed in the Individual section of a Narrative report. This works well when you have more than one marriage and children by each marriage and it may be many pages before the marriage sections are printed. I will also share the marriage to other spouses and the births of children from those marriages in a spouse's record.

I also may share a child's birth with grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. if those person's raised the child.