• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 vegcousin

vegcousin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

This is most probably not a RootsMagic issue but since there are so many computer buffs out there using this software I thought maybe I could get an answer to my problem. I started using Family Origins software way back when and then later converted to RootsMagic. I am now using the Windows 7 OS and have experienced a problem whereby most of my photographs that had been previously imported in to RootsMagic now have a .THU file extension assigned to them rather that their former .JPG extension...and windows cannot open them. I don't know exactly when this occurred but I suspect it may have been when I upgraded to Windows 7. Is there an easy fix for this problem? Some of the suggestions offered by way of an internet search do not work or else they say they are free, and after downloading them, they find 800 registry errors which they can fix for a fee!!!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Family Origins and RootsMagic create Thumbnails ( THU extension) of your photos for quicker screen viewing.
They do not replace the original JPG files.
The more recent RootsMagic programs try to delete the THU files when they are through with them or when they close down, although sometimes a few will remain in the folder. If you see a lot of thu files, they are probably holdovers from FOW

If all you see are the THU files, you didn't import the JPG files or they are in a folder you are not seeing.

You shouldn't need any new programs to search your hard drive for JPG files. Windows Explorer has it's own search facility.
Just type JPG into the search field at the top or the Windows Explorer window and hit enter, it should find more JPG files than you know what to do with. (At least it does with Windows Vista, I didn't get around to getting Windows 7)
Alfred

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Family Origins and RootsMagic create Thumbnails ( THU extension) of your photos for quicker screen viewing.
They do not replace the original JPG files.
The more recent RootsMagic programs try to delete the THU files when they are through with them or when they close down, although sometimes a few will remain in the folder. If you see a lot of thu files, they are probably holdovers from FOW

With no effect on the recommendation, I don't agree that RootsMagic 4+ versions create thumbnail files for each image; rather RM generates the thumbnail images and stores them in the database file. I don't know about the older versions.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

With no effect on the recommendation, I don't agree that RootsMagic 4+ versions create thumbnail files for each image; rather RM generates the thumbnail images and stores them in the database file. I don't know about the older versions.

OH! That may be why I never see any new THU files anymore. I guess I knew that but my memory just ain't what it used to be.
Alfred

#5 vegcousin

vegcousin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hey Tom & Alfred,
Thanks for your input.
Just thought I'd let you know how I solved the problem.
Went in to the RM Media Gallery, clicked on Tools, then Locate Missing Media Files. Voila. All my pictures came back.
Thanks again.
Randy

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Son of a gun! That Locate missing media files is another thing I forgot. :(
Alfred

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

You can delete the leftover .thu files from your computer if you wish.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#8 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

If thumbnails are now stored in the database file for RM6, how often are these thumbnails refreshed. If I change a .jpg picture in my picture folder, how do I get RM6 to create a new refreshed thumbnail?

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

The thumbnails are refreshed every time you open the Media Gallery unless you have it turned off at Tools, File options.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#10 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

thank you..will check that out

#11 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

It did not work. I went to the folder where I keep my RM pictures..selected the pic and changed it with a different pict of the same name..then opened RM6 and it still showed the old pict. I even tried to fix broken links..I had to actually delete the media file and readd it..I also could not find any setting where I could turn off or on the updating each time you open in Tools>Media Gallery..

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

I also could not find any setting where I could turn off or on the updating each time you open in Tools>Media Gallery..

Tools->Program Options->General->Build thumbnails when opening Media Gallery
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#13 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

I found the setting but it still shows the old picture. I even completely changed the picture but named the new picture the same name so the link would not be broken

#14 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

I tried with several other pictures taking notes as I went along..It seems that if I link a picture, the media thumbnail is created. If I go to the folder where I keep my RM pictures, and Edit one(like crop to a different view). the thumbnail in the media file still shows the older version. but if you click on the thumbnail picture it shows the newly cropped one. So, how do you get the media file to update the thurmbnails to show the most recent picture as the current thumbnail?

#15 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5697 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Change the name of the file and then maybe it will have a clue that there is something different about it.
Alfred

#16 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

When I changed the name of the pict. I got the red X on the thumb. that it could not find the file..the only way I found to update the thumbnail is to select the picture and go up to to Properties and then to the bottom to change madia file and again browse to the newly cropped picture. It did not seem to effect any tags of the old picture. Then the thumbnail shows the newly cropped picture..wish it could auto update or have an option to do so maybe under media Media Gallery an option to update thumbnails in database.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Media managers such as Picasa auto-update thumbnails but to do so requires that they be running in the background monitoring a set of folders for changes in media files. I'm not sure this is what we should want. I think we can reasonably ask for are:

1. Automatic update of thumbnail for changes in a media file wrought by RootsMagic's own Edit MultiMedia tool.
2. A Refresh Thumbnails button on (or menu item under the Tools menu of) the Media Album/Gallery for all media items in the Album/Gallery
3. Right-click on the Thumbnail to invoke a menu item "Refresh this Thumbnail". #2 and #3 would be useful to those who edit image files inside and outside RM.
4. That thumbnails of the image be created for any image file regardless of the Media Type selected when the media item was added to the Gallery. Users who prefer to use outside tools for image manipulation add to the Gallery using the "File" Media Type which currently calls up an icon.
5. That thumbnails of the first page of document files be created.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#18 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I agree, anything running in the background usually causes trouble..so a manual thing would be much better.

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3675 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

After changing the image go into the Media Gallery (or the Media Album) and highlight the old image. Then click on View/Edit, then click OK, it will give you a pop-up "Save the modified image? This will replace the image with this modified one." Click on "Replace image". Then click OK and the thumbnail will be changed.
Renee
RootsMagic

#20 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

When using "lossy" image formats (especially JPG or JPEG), there is a problem with multiple saves and re-saves. This is inherent in the format, which discards fine detail each time the image is resaved. For the JPG format, programs such as Photoshop and Graphic Workshop have settings to control the amount of compression, and therefore how much fine detail gets discarded. I usually set these programs to maintain the maximum amount of detail, meaning the files do NOT get maximum compression. With large hard drives, the difference in a slightly larger image file size is not a problem. There is no such setting in RM6, and I have noticed that large image files (such as scanned census pages) get less distinct and harder to read after being edited and re-saved when the JPG compression is too high. Perhaps it would be possible to add, maybe in the Tools | Program Options area, a setting to control the image compression. (I am copying this message to the WISH LIST forum).