4 replies to this topic

#1 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

Is RM6 designed to run on single, dual or quad processor cores?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3524 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

What prompts the question?

I doubt RM6 is designed to use more than one processor. Even though the Delphi platform can support multicore, I think the developer has to include controls to detect their presence and take advantage of them and that would be extra effort... There is no mention of multicore that I can find in connection with the database engine DISQLite3; maybe it would be illogical to have multiple connections to the database file.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

What prompts the question?

In the absence of any benchmarks, I seem to detect a performance boost by aligning the affinity of RM to only one core.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3524 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

How do you do that?

You are using a SSD, iirc? I wonder if core affinity is of greater effect given the high speed drive.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

How do you do that?

You are using a SSD, iirc? I wonder if core affinity is of greater effect given the high speed drive.

SSD ... yes. To set affinity on an ad-hoc basis, open Task Manager and select the Processes tab. Highlight the RM executable, then right-click and select Affinity menu item. De-select <All Processors> and select one of the individual cores. Setting affinity on a permanent basis involves appending the target command-string in the application shortcut icon. More info here: http://www.tech-reci...er-performance/