• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 katinka111

katinka111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Now I know I made a mistake. But I cannot find a resolution. I have two databases, with over a thousand people each. They are hopefully identical. But I found a few small differences by hunting. Is there a way to have rootsmagic 6 look at both, and provide a list of any information that is different between the two? I don't want to have to visually compare a thousand individuals! I am in extreme despair :o at this point! I have searched the forum and the help feature, and could not find a solution. THANK YOU.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

There is no such tool within RM. There is for comparing two GEDCOM files: https://sites.google...comviewcompare/ - export a GEDCOM from each. Another technique would be to compare identical reports from the two databases using Microsoft Word or Open Office/Libre Office Writer to compare in the RTF format or PSPad, NotePad++ to compare TXT files.

What you might try within RM is to create a new database, drag'n'drop Everyone from each database into it and then ShareMerge SmartMerge. Those persons who are in both databases will have the same Unique ID and will merge without question. The result may be some facts that are different will now be in conflict but they are, at least, altogether.

Edited by TomH, 11 June 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Open both databases side by side, one in RM and one in RMtoGo if neccessary.

Set up People View on both Databases to include the "Last Edited" fact

Sort both by this column so the most recent dates and changes sort to the top.

Compare the individuals left and right and make one database the most complete.

Finally delete the less complete database in case you ever feel tempted to start comparing them again :)
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Open both databases side by side, one in RM and one in RMtoGo if neccessary.

Set up People View on both Databases to include the "Last Edited" fact

Sort both by this column so the most recent dates and changes sort to the top.

Compare the individuals left and right and make one database the most complete.

Finally delete the less complete database in case you ever feel tempted to start comparing them again :)

The Date-last-edited field only tracks changes to the Person and their facts, not changes to sources, places, media... So if you have been working on cleaning up sources, places... and got your database forked into two different files, this technique won't help.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Using Group with date last edited will at least give you the people you want to check the records for.

If the databases have the same name, rename one of them.

Set the view to Timeline in both databases. That will help on catching those people who have a difference in facts, dates and places and whether a person in one database has facts shared, notes, sources, or media linked or not.

If both have notes and sources, media, etc, then both records need to be checked for differences.

Use Family view to check family links, parents, children, spouses.

You could also do Individual reports to compare.

You might want to color code people already checked in both databases.

Backup or copy your main database frequently so you can recover most of your work if you make a
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#6 katinka111

katinka111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Fascinating! This might not catch all the differences, but it is better than not finding any! I will give this a go.... THANKS

#7 Guy

Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Vyger. This helped me in a similiar situation. I also learned (after many years with the product) about the "obvious" Customize this view option.