Deleted individual by mistake, can't open backup files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vtjudy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I have Rootsmagic 5. Because a set of parents was listed 4 times, I unlinked the son (my ancestor). This worked until his name appeared twice. I tried unlinking, then hit Delete (believing I could retrieve the family information from a backup. Joseph disappeared completely. When I tried to access the backup from the day before, I was asked whether I wanted to use Adobe or another route. Not really understanding, I selected Adobe, and was told I couldn't get into the file. I have called the Rootsmagic tech support number and left a message, but it will be awhile before they get back to me. I'm so anxious to solve this problem. Can anyone help?

#2 John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

You need to "Restore" a backup. Try doing a restore in a different folder. Or rename your current database to something else. Otherwise, you will destroy the partially defective copy where you made the mistake.

#3 Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Please watch Webinar 7, Cleaning Your Family Tree in RootsMagic, about how to c;lean up errors in family links.

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 lucyb2477

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

I bought a hard copy of Rootsmagic 3 and then updated to Rootsmagic 5.  I bought a new pc and saved database files which had been used on Rootsmagic 5.  Can't now open them and seem to have lots Rootsmagic 5!

#5 zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

I'm using RM6, but these steps should also work for RM5:

First: Go to http://www.rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/ and request your lost key for RM5

Second: Go to http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/ and scroll down to RootsMagic 5 Update (Version

Third: You can now re-install RM5.

Fourth: Open RM5, go to Tools - Program Options - Folders and setup your 5 folder locations.

Fifth: Go to File - Open - Open a file and navigate find to your most-recent *.rmgc data file

Sixth: Go to File - Rename and give the *.rmgc file a different name (maybe append something like OOPS to the name)
Seventh: Go to File - Restore and select a recent *.rmgb backup file

You should now have two versions of your database open in RM5

Eighth: Go to Window - Tile Vertically (or horizontally if you prefer)

Ninth: In each database, navigate to the individuals that need to be compared, and manually transfer data from the restored backup to the OOPS file.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 5328 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

Is there an error message when you try to open RootsMagic or your database?

Sometimes when you move to a new computer your files are marked read-only. This would prevent them from opening. Right click on the file or folder its in and under Properties uncheck read-only. If it still won't open then move the database file out of the current folder so the program doesn't try to open it when it starts. If RootsMagic will open then its an issue with the database. In that case you need to File>Restore a backup.