• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vtjudy

vtjudy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I have Rootsmagic 5. Because a set of parents was listed 4 times, I unlinked the son (my ancestor). This worked until his name appeared twice. I tried unlinking, then hit Delete (believing I could retrieve the family information from a backup. Joseph disappeared completely. When I tried to access the backup from the day before, I was asked whether I wanted to use Adobe or another route. Not really understanding, I selected Adobe, and was told I couldn't get into the file. I have called the Rootsmagic tech support number and left a message, but it will be awhile before they get back to me. I'm so anxious to solve this problem. Can anyone help?

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

You need to "Restore" a backup. Try doing a restore in a different folder. Or rename your current database to something else. Otherwise, you will destroy the partially defective copy where you made the mistake.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Please watch Webinar 7, Cleaning Your Family Tree in RootsMagic, about how to c;lean up errors in family links.

http://rootsmagic.com/webinars/
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-