Photo

Sharing a common fact with more than one person.

shared facts RootsMagic 6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lemire

Lemire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

When working on sharing facts with other people, like birth and death dates of relatives, I have to change the fact for each person one at a time. For example, when I share a fact of a birth of a child and the fact is aunt, and there are 15 aunts to share it with, I have to click the drop down menu 15 times for each person I'm sharing it with. Can I do a select all and change all 15 people at once? this would make my task MUCH easier. The french Canadians had huge families back in the old days!

Is this something that might be included in future builds?

Thanks,
Blair LeMire

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't think I understand your problem.

Why would you want to share the birth of a child with all it's relatives?

I can understand sharing something like a census document, but a birth? Were all the aunts in the room witnessing the birth?

And, what is an Aunt fact?
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

When you click on the Share button for a fact you should see "Add Multiple people" as an option. Once you have added them it's easy to select each person in the "People who share this fact" list and Edit them. That is where you can change the Role for them.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

If I wanted to share a nephew or nieces' birth with with aunts or uncles, I would create 2 roles for the Birth fact, Nephew and Niece.

Nephew:
Default sentence: [Thisperson:poss] nephew, [Person], was born<date><Placedetails]><[Place]>.

Niece:
Default sentence: [Thisperson:poss] niece, [Person], was born<date><Placedetails]><[Place]>.

Select the person who the fact will be shared with.

Select the role of the aunt or uncle to be either Nephew or Niece depending on the sex of the Principal [the person who was born].

Adjust the default sentence for the roles to read the way you prefer.

I would only share a Birth role for Nephew and Niece if the aunt or uncle raised the chlld.

I have 3 roles for the Birth fact, Father, Mother and Sibling.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I would read the help file about the use of Shared facts just so you are sure about the intended use and not piling up trouble for yourself in the future which will need time to correct.

Also remember that every custom fact steps outside of the intended genealogy standard if you ever decide to collaborate with another researcher or online facility in the future.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shared facts, RootsMagic 6