• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 judyholc

judyholc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I edited Alfred Hambleton's spouse's name from...
Given name: Marian G
Surname: [blank]

to...
Given name: Marian C L
Surname: Corson

I copied the updated database to dropbox, downloaded and synced to the app. Alfred's spouse still shows as "Marian G". "Marian C L Corson" (her edited name) does show up in the individuals list, but does not connect her to her husband Alfred Hambleton. Other edits I had made are reflected in the app. I went back to my original database on the desktop. ran the database utilities and redid the copying, downloading and syncing, but it was still the same problem.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3584 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Is it possible that you have two persons in your database? Marian G. as spouse of Alfred and Marian C L Corson unmarried? Check your main database for their record numbers (Tools > File Options > General > Number to display after name = Record number (RIN)).

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 judyholc

judyholc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

The record # is 2902. In the desktop Roots Magic that correlates to Marian C L Corson. If I search on given name, Marian G is not in the list. Marian G is not in the database.

Now in Roots Magic app, record #2902 brings up Marian G, I can find Marian C L Corson in the app by searching, but she has no relation to anyone else - she's a standalone with just her name and birth date displayed.

However, it just got mysteriouser and mysteriouser, Just now I clicked on Amos Corson (her father) in the list of Corsons in the app and the app crashed. Then I restarted the app and, miraculously, everything was in place correctly! What? No more Marian G to be found - just Marion C L Corson as record #2902 married to Alfred Hambleton and her mother and father are connected to her, as well. Who knows.... Maybe it was just all a display issue in the app.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3584 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Maybe you were accessing the database on the iPhone while it was being updated by the server and got mixed results. I don't know exactly how DropBox works - if it does differential revisions to a file, I can see how that could produce the mixed result. But if it does whole file replacement, then that should not happen unless the app is storing names in memory, I.e., old name set in memory and shown in the name list, new name set in the file being returned by new queries.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.