5 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was just working with my correspondence list and it was immediately obvious that more sort options should exist rather than just the subject so more sort options is my primary wish.

For discussion I believe there is mileage here for further improvements and integration between Research Manager, Correspondence List, Repository List, Address List, To-Do Lists and, of course, the linkage to the database and I would encourage further thoughts, opinions and discussion from users on this important research set of tools.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

The most important feature change for me would be to Transfer to a Research log. I am in the process of changing all my Correspondence list to Research logs/Research items. Then all that info will be in one feature. Of course, I will have the project done by the time RM could be updated as I have very few entries in the Correspondence list. :)

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

The most important feature change for me would be to Transfer to a Research log. I am in the process of changing all my Correspondence list to Research logs/Research items. Then all that info will be in one feature. Of course, I will have the project done by the time RM could be updated as I have very few entries in the Correspondence list. :)

Laura, I like your thinking, I have not been working much with these features within RM but they certainly do need to be brought together in some way.

The Research Manager does not lend itself terribly well to correspondence but what I do like, having tried it, is the search button which gives a filtered list.

Maybe the Rootsmagician will build on the strengths of the Research Manager UI and either provide a way to import items and better display correspondence items. I would also like to see buttons within Research Manager to open the Repository List, Address List and To-Do list and provide some better functionality between them.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

I had no problem in changing my Correspondence list entries to a Research log. It just took a little experimenting and thinking out of the box. That was mainly deciding what data I needed to show in the column sorts for Research items and how I wanted it sorted

For correspondence with a person in my database, I added a Reseach log to their Edit person screen, Correspondence, Surname. Given

For correspondence with a person not in my database or a source like requesting a certified marriage license, etc., I added the Research log to my fake person.

Research items are each separate email, letter, phone call, etc.

I could have just chosen to add a Research log, Correspondence, to my fake person and had each separate contact as the Research item.
Research log name: person my correspondence is with
Research log objective entry:
Address:
Email:
Phone:
Research Item template:
Date: Date of correspondence
Reference number: Type and Sent or received combined, i.e. Emaill (Received), Email (Sent)
Goal: Description of correspondence, i.e. email subject, letter
Source: Name of person who sent that emaiil or other type correspondence, i.e. Email (Receved) = Correspondent's name, Email (Sent) my name, Surname, Given
Repository: File name, Comments
Results: copy of email

Personally, if Research items changed to linking to Sources and Repositories without also having a choice of using the text box instead, many of my Research items would have to be redone or it would be impossible to have that Research item at all for items where I have used the entry boxes for other purposes than how they are labeled.

I don't want to lose the current flexibility of the Research logs.

That has pretty much been my problem with the Correspondence list. Plus you can't link the Correspondence list to a person.

Any changes to the Correspondence list, Research logs and Research items should include linking media.

#6 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thank you for sharing that Laura.

I came into the Issues forum to request that the Correspondence list be able to be searchable when open - as it is in the ipad app!

Having an ability to attach it to a person as per the to do list,and able to be copied into, or as you've done, incorporated  into the Research log would suit me very well - at least for my current use of this (keeping track of atDNA contacts about matches)