6 replies to this topic

#1 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

All,
I backed up my database on Sunday to my computer, sent a Gedcom file (or so I thought) to my email, and the correct file to dropbox so I could download it to my mobile phone. For some reason, everytime I try and open any of the files, I get the RootsMagic error. I've tried restoring, importing, etc. I'm so bummed because I had a lot of data. Any ideas? When I open the .lst file it looks like a gedcom file but isn't listed on my desktop when I try and import it.

HELP.

Leigh :(
--
Leigh Stulack

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

All,
I backed up my database on Sunday to my computer, sent a Gedcom file (or so I thought) to my email, and the correct file to dropbox so I could download it to my mobile phone. For some reason, everytime I try and open any of the files, I get the RootsMagic error. I've tried restoring, importing, etc. I'm so bummed because I had a lot of data. Any ideas? When I open the .lst file it looks like a gedcom file but isn't listed on my desktop when I try and import it.

HELP.

Leigh :(

Trouble opening it where - desktop or mobile? What is "the RootsMagic error"?

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

When I open the .lst file it looks like a gedcom file but isn't listed on my desktop when I try and import it.

Just a "heads-up" ...the .LST file is a text file listing what was unable to be processed by RM during a previous GEDCOM import. You wouldn't ever import a .LST file to RM.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3534 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

All,

I'm very confused by the reference to GEDCOM and also the reference to "the correct file to dropbox" and also the reference email.

You say you want to download the data to your mobile phone. If so, then neither GEDCOM nor email would be involved in the process - just your actual RM database (an RMGC file) and Dropbox (or you could use iTunes as an alternative to Dropbox). Could you clarify exactly what it is that you need to so? And could you confirm that your mobile phone is an iPhone? The current mobile app from RM will not work on an Android phone.

I'm assuming that you are trying to use the current mobile app from RM. If you are using some other mobile app, then everything is different.

Jerry

#5 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

I apologize for my confusing question. I’m a bit frantic at the moment.

Essentially I was trying to say that I had saved copies of my master file several places. I uploaded the .rmgb file to Dropbox, a copy of .rmgc file, and I also sent myself an email with the file saved as a GEDCOM file (or so I thought).The file I had labeled as a GEDCOM file has a .lst extention.

I did all of these things for backup purposes (forget the mobile phone part for now). I’ve done this in the past with success.

I've tried using JING to copy and paste an image of the error but it's the "RootsMagic has encountered and unexpected error. SQLite error 26-file is encrypted or is not a database with the red circle and gray "X" in it.

RootsMagic won't open any of the files. I didn’t get any errors when backing up these files or corruption errors, etc.. My last backup it will upload is from 4/27 which is very distressing.
Thanks!
--
Leigh Stulack

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

.ged is the extension for a gedcom.

Search Windows Explorer for files with .ged extensions to see if you did make and save a gedcom file.

If you don't find it, go back into your database and create a gedcom at File, Export. Remember which folder you saved it to or just save it to your Dropbox folder.

If your current database file will load into RM, go to File, Database tools and run the tools. Then make a gedcom. If a gedcom will not complete the database is corrupted beyond repair. If you get a good gedcom, create a new database and import the gedcom.

If you can't make a gedcom, restore your 4/27 backup and run the Database tools and make a gedcom to see if a gedcom will complete. If not, use an earlier backup or copy of the database.

A backup or copy of a database only copies the database and any problems it has. The backup copies the database and then zips the file.

A gedcom will fix many errors in a database. And that was the old way to fix the errors Database tools will now fix.

I still have my old habit of creating a gedcom of my database at least once a week or more often when I am adding data frequently. And it reassures me that my database is not corrupted although I haven't had a corrupted database since Family Origins 9 years ago.

#7 leighstulack

leighstulack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Thanks all! I think the data must've been corrupt although I didn't know that. My oldest file is from 5/20 that I can restore. I lost a week's worth of data but I'll make sure next time that I check the backup files. Thanks again for the help and support!
--
Leigh Stulack

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: .ged, .rmgc, .rmgb, .lst