#1 New.Genie

New.Genie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hello researches,
Up for a challenge?
My girlfriend and I are trying to research her family history, specifically who her Grandfather was and if any he had any other children. My girlfriends’ mom (whose father we are seeking info on) refuses to provide us any information. My girlfriends Grandmother, who recently passed away, didn't provide any tangible info either. We know that her Grandfather eventually remarried and had other children. We'd like to discover this side of the family.

What we know:
1. Partial name for her Grandfather.
2. Mom's birth info (real last name, date, and county of birth).
3. Life events surrounding this person probably took place in California.
NOTE: Grandfather#1 (whom we seek) and Grandmother married (we believe) around 1939 (+/- 2 years) and then divorced. After the relationship ended, Grandfather#1 was never spoken about again. Grandmother then remarried to Grandfather #2. So far, we can't find either of those marriage records on Ancestry.com (I wonder how complete Ancestry.com actually is??)

What we want to discover:
1. Grandfathers full name.
2. Grandfathers children.
3. If her Grandparents actually married.

We aren't hell-bent on finding this info, nor do we want to spend money on this effort. We are merely curious and hoping to perhaps connect with other potential family members on social networking sites like Facebook.

So, where would you experts start this search?
How would you conduct this search?
Other than using Ancestry.com for free at the public library, what other free websites can we research?

Thanks in advance for your patience and replies.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3665 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

You could try posting on forums asking others about your grandfather. I like to use http://genforum.genealogy.com/
Renee
RootsMagic