5 replies to this topic

#1 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Unless there is problem with my software, Version 6 does not allow the entering of the name of the Master Source at the beginning of creating a new source as it did in Version 5. This is very annoying. It actually requires more steps as I must either type it in again or copy & paste from one of the master source data fields.

Please return the option to enter the name of the Master Source at the beginning.

Thanks

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

This was a deliberate change to try to make things better for the user.

In my opinion, it was a very bad change. However, it was described in one of the Webinars as being an improvement because when it was at the beginning then users didn't know what to enter whereas after it was moved to the end then users did know what to enter. I think that's a pretty bogus rationale, but I would be extremely doubtful that it will be changed back. ("Bogus" may be a little harsh. I guess I have listened to too much "Car Talk" on WNPR. :) )

In my "Adventures in Extreme Splitting" methodology, I nearly always create a new Master Source by first copying an existing Master Source that's somewhat close to what I need. I then edit the copy, and the first thing I do in editing the copy is to enter its name. So I am essentially back to having things working in what seems to me to be an extremely natural manner. But I'm really managing sources in a manner that's radically different that most people and that's radically different than the way RM is designed to work.

Jerry

#3 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I agree - this is extremely annoying and wish that things would be returned the way it was done before.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

I create Master source templates which show up in my Master source list for my most used type of sources.

I am using free form, but it will work with sources templates too.

I take an existing Master source on the list and copy it then modify it.

Example:
Name: *Template, Census, [Year], [State], [County] County, Census [NARA#]
Footnote: [Year] U.S. census, [State], [County] County, population schedule, NARA microfilm publication [NARA#]

Bibliography: [Year] U.S. census, [State], [County] County, population schedule, NARA microfilm publication [NARA#]. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.

Enter into Master source comments:

Source details entries (template):
Quality: i.e. Derivative, Don't know, Indirect
Page number:
Township, P. O., ED #, page #, dwelling #, family #, person of interest; accessed [date]

Details Text entries (template):
Research note:
<Return>
[Transcription and comments to be printed with source]
Comment:
<return>
[Comments that shouldn't be printed with source]
<return>
Media linked:
Media file name
<return>
[Link media to Source detail.]

When I create a new Master source for that type of source, I copy the template, remove *Template from the name and make any other changes to the Master source.

When I add the Master source to a fact, the templates for entry in the page number, etc. that I entered in the Master source comment shows up in the right pane.
My newest template Master sources are for the 1940 census one each for Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The census year and state are already typed into the Master source template.
Makimg my own templates on the Master source list saves me a lot of redundant typing.

And now, it mostly saves me from the frustration of entering the source name last.

I doubt if it would be practical, but it would be nice if Bruce could give us a choice to enter the source name first or last with last being the default if he feels he must do it that way.

In some ways, I envy new users. :) They don't have ingrained habits from years of using RootsMagic and perhaps Family Origins. This change seems to be one of the hardest changes for me to adapt to.

#5 Bizegrama

Bizegrama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks all for the replies. Sorry I am so late replying back.

I wish they would allow an option to allow those of of us who know how we want to name our source, to allow it at the beginning. Maybe it could be an option under sources?? I have been documenting sources for years, and came over from TMG. When they eliminated the ability to add the name of the Master Source at beginning, it's been extremely aggravating especially when entering numerous new sources and I must wait till the end to name the source. i already know how I want to name the source in the Master Source list.

I have copied & edited a previous source, but that is annoying too sometimes. PLEASE give us the option to add the Source name at beginning!!

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Confirming the option for where to place the Master Source Title is in our tracking system.

This discuss made me realize that since we made this change we have no longer had any support tickets from new users confused on what to put in the Master Source Title field. We have had old users ask why the change, but no confusion by new users. So in our books this change has been a success.
Renee
RootsMagic