9 replies to this topic

#1 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

The following applies to the Edit Source window for "Census, U.S. Federal (Online Images) " in particular.

Sometimes, when I try to use the above referenced window, the Details section (lower - blue half of the window) does not appear,

I then have to close out of the window and re-enter, sometimes several times - before the lower half appears.

I haven't noticed this occurring with other "Edit Source" windows, but I'm using the above referenced "Census, U.S. Federal (Online Images) " most often so that the problem has become obvious for this particular screen.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

The lower half never appears when you edit OR ENTER the source from the Source list.
The details, citation, bottom half, only shows up when you edit OR ENTER an individual's source. That is where the citation is shown.
Alfred

#3 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

My problem is not with citing an existing source. What I previously described is with regard to citing a new source.

I wanted to double check that what I said was happening, and yes it is - with a new source.

If you reread my previous post, it should be clear that I am not editing an existing source - if I was editing an existing source, I would never have access to the lower half, no matter how many times I tried.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yes, it is clear as mud, you mentioned "Edit Source window"

I edited my earlier post, by adding OR ENTER a couple of times.
Alfred

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

When you add a new source via Lists > Source List, you are only allowed to input Master Source info and so you see only the upper or Master Source part of the pane under the Citation tab of the Edit Source window. This is logical because you are not at this point citing a source for a person, family or event.

When you add a new source in the Edit Person screen, it also opens the Edit Source window but this time, because you are making a citation of the Master Source for a person, family or event, you get to input both the Master Source and the Source Details (citation detail) data so you see both upper and lower parts of the pane under the Citation tab.

The nomenclature is confusing - why is the tab labelled Citation in both cases when, in the first, you are not making a citation (except in Jerry's Adventures in Extreme Splitting!).

What Alfred and I are suggesting is that you may be forgetting that you went via the first route on some occasions and that is why you think there is an occasional loss of the lower, Source Details part of the Citation pane in the Edit Source window. Of course, we could be wrong in that assumption and that, in fact, you are experiencing some sporadic bug that nobody else has previously reported.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm reporting the same bug again.

This time, I tried to use a different source template - FOR THE FIRST TIME - this time it was Census, U.S. State (FHL Microfilm).

I opened the window FOR THE FIRST TIME, the green "Source Details" window did not appear. I tried a second time and it did not appear. At first i thought maybe this template didn't include a "Details" window. Then I thought I would try the source template I had been having problems with before "Census, U.S. Federal (Online Images) " - same problem.

I then backed out to the main "Family View" window and tried again, then the lower screen appeared. Since this is the first time I used this Source Template, I could not have been trying to reuse a source I had previously used.

This is not a phenomenon I can make happen.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

This is repeating what both Alfred and Tom have already said. It makes a big difference how you enter into the Edit Source screen. There are two pieces to the screen. The top part of the screen is labelled Master Source and has a yellow background. The bottom part of the screen is labelled Source Details and has a green background. So far, so good - and I don't think anybody would disagree at this point.

Sometimes you see only the top part of the screen (yellow Master Source). Sometimes you see both the top part of the screen (yellow Master Source) and the bottom part of the screen (green Source Details). Again, it's so far, so good. This is normal behavior and it's not a bug. Sometimes you are supposed to see the top part of the screen and not the bottom part of the screen.

If you go into List->Source List... you will only see the top part of the screen. This screen will say Master Source List at the top before you say edit, and after you say edit the subwindow will say Edit Source at the top.

If you are editing a person and add a citation, you will see both the top and the bottom part of the screen. This screen will say Ciation Manager at the top before you say edit, and after you say edit the subwindow will say Edit Source at the top.

The confusing thing is that the subwindow with only a top part says Edit Source and the subwindow with both a top and a bottom part also says Edit Source. You can tell the difference by whether the bigger and outer window says Master Source List at the top or Citation Manger at the top. If you are in the Citation Manager and see only the top part of the screen, then there is a bug.

Everything that Alfred has said and Tom has said and I have said works exactly the same no matter which source template you are using, including if you are using the Free Form one. So could you please confirm whether you see the screen with a top part and no bottom part when you are in the Master Source List screen or in the Citation Manager screen.

Thanks,
Jerry

#8 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Let me first reiterate that the problem is inconsistent, there is nothing I can do to make it happen repeatedly.

I can only tell you that I have been keeping an eye out for this problem and reported when it happened again.

Can you please explain to me how I could possibly be using "Cite an Existing Source" - when I am citing a new source - using a source type I haven't used before - with a source template I haven't used before?

With the foregoing statement in mind, following is the sequence of events:
From the "Edit Person Screen"
Click on "Sources" to get to "Citation Manager"
Click on "Add New Source" to get to "Select Source Type"
Select "Whatever" source type - get "Edit Source" window.
Sometimes the Green/Blue window appears - sometimes it doesn't

As I was going through the exercise of generating this response I used a source type I hadn't used before. I ended up with above described problem.

Am I correct in assuming that the Edit Source windows generated with the above sequence should contain the green lower window? - - - If so, in the course of generating this response, I went through the above described steps and used still another New Source Type and had the same problem response.

#9 Kevin

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think the difference is between the following once you are in the Citation Manager:
If you first Select "Cite Existing Source" and Then Select "Add New Source" then you do NOT get the detail entry information.
If you first Select "Add New Source" then you DO get the chance to enter the detail information.

#10 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I don't know what more to say. I know what is happening and it is not what you are describing.

I know how to get around the problem and so there is no more need for discussion.