• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donntn

donntn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hi, I'm attempting to compile a genealogical reference describing several hundred families who migrated from one state/territory to another over a 50 year span. Is there a way RM can compile synopses of these UNRELATED families within ONE database? And would there be an indexing problem?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Don in Nashville

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5988 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think your question is more about outputting reports covering any or all families from the one database. Narrative reports would be labourious because you would have to run a report for every tree, I.e., family if no families are connected. Family Group Sheets and Individual summaries are easily done for everyone. The index will show everyone but you could also create groupings. The Count Trees function will give you a list of the trees from which you can jump to a starting person.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

In my main database, I have a person named Unconnected. That person's children are the oldest ancestor of a tree which is not my main tree. The oldest ancestor is usually male, but may be female if I have no husband. If there is just one person with no family, that person is also linked as a child.

This gives me two trees, my main tree and the unconnected person's tree.

I also color code all the descendants of Unconnected as Silver to make them obvious in the Indexes.

If I link one of these families to my tree, I remove Unconnected as a parent for the person that links that family to Unconnected and change the color codes.

I can print a Narrative report starting with Unconnected or make Groups, or select just his descendants for reports.

Or, I can choose just one of his children as the focus person.

If you wanted to do it by surnames, you could have Unconnected with children as each surname and the oldest ancestors of each family as a child of the surname person. Or instead of surnames, you could use a date range or places.

Create a new database and drag and drop some people in to it and play with how you might want to do it.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I do something that's at least vaguely similar to what Laura does. My main database presently has 796 unconnected trees. Most of the unconnected trees contain very few people, and often only one. These trees will arise because I will collect things like "all the burials in Jefferson County, Tennessee for the Burchfiel surname, whether they are connected to me or not" or "all the census entries in Greene County, Tennessee for the Cox surname, whether they are connected to me or not".

I frequently find that these unconnected people eventually do have a connection and eventually do become included in my main tree. And I have solved several major mysteries almost by accident by the simple act of collecting lots of data. (This is not the same thing as collecting a bunch of unsourced and unproven trees off the Internet. Indeed, it's not collecting trees at all. Rather, it's collecting actual data in hopes that the data will eventually be useful.)

All those people in all those unconnected trees are color coded as yellow in my database. Yellow is not a great color for color coding in general because there is not enough contrast between the yellow text and the white background. But for all those unconnected people, yellow serves just fine. It's quite easy to color code the unconnected people. I just go into the Set Color dialog and color code by People Selected from a List. Within People Selected from a List, I Mark everyone in my database and then Unmark everyone in my own tree. The individuals who remain marked are the unconnected people. Done.

Jerry

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I started my Unconnected person before color coding. :)

I mostly have my general research by source [parent] and name [child] in another database so I don't have nearly as many unconnected people in my main database as Jerry.

#6 donntn

donntn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Thanks to all for your input. TomH is correct in that I am wanting to create a report (narrative) for each family, BUT I need to have all the 'separate' narratives combined into one, as in book form, AND with a single index. I could have sources and notes at the bottom of each page I guess, so I don't think that would be a problem. Also, do I save each narrative report as a RTF, text file, or what? And once I've saved all the narrative reports to Word, how do I get them all into ONE document?
Hoping I'm not asking to jumbled a question
Don n Nashville

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

There is the Publisher report where you can do a narrative as a chapter for each tree. the index at the end will include all of the people in all the trees.

This should do just what you are thinking of.
Alfred

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

My previous suggestion will work or you could use Publisher. Either will give you one Index.

You make a choice on whether to print the sources as footnotes or endnotes when you create the report.

What file you use to save the report depends on what you are going to do with it.

If you are going to make changes in a word processor, save the report as a rtf or text file. If you are going to share the report as a file and not printed on paper, be aware that RM uses Microsoft rtf format and others may not be able to open it correctly it if their word processor doesn't use that format for rtf files. If Word will convert a file to pdf, you could make the changes and then convert the file to pdf.

#9 donntn

donntn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

You folks are just too good! Thanks so much
Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: databases