• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

I would like to "correct" anything I can in TMG 7 before doing a final GEDCOM into RM6. My first attempt has all my street addresses, hospital names, etc., in Places, with no Place Details. Should I just continue to use RM places in this way, or would this cause other problems? I have many "Lat Long" notes in TMG for detailed places, such as a grave site within a cemetery, an old family farm, etc. Is there a way to keep these or geo codes within RM for place details?
Thanks in advance,
Michelle

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Michelle,

I am not sure what exactly you mean when you mention "Lat Long notes" but I will explain the RM way and hopefully that will cover your need. I would suggest once you make the final switch to RM you would want to start splitting Place & Place Details components for best effect.

If you have a combined Place & Place Detail in TMG and that item has geocoding, notes and/or media then when you eventually perform a split in RM that geocoding, notes and any media will stay with the Place Detail component, in other words the building, cemetery etc. You will decide how to split the Place & Place Detail so you may decide the Place Detail component is "Grave #1, Old Cemetery" and the remainder is the Place which you can edit during the process.

Place Details within RM sort in alphabetical order so it may be worth considering how you will continue to record such items as you progress with RM. I decided on any numbering being recorded after the Place Detail as I wanted similar Place Details grouped together but you would have to consider how things would look in reports and your other needs. For a street address I record "Main Street (#101)" so all entries for Main Street will group together, for Cemeteries it would be something like "Old Cemetery, Grave (#J123)".

One thing RM is currently missing is an associated people report for Place Details, with Places this can be done through pressing the Print button but this facility does not yet exist for Place Details and we can only hope it will in the not too distant future. Since you mentioned graves, I always found an associated people report very useful for a particular grave which may have up to 6 interments and maybe one does not share the family name and deserves further research.

Places and Place Details are important items to me and you can read more of my thoughts on my link below if you so wish.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Dale DePriest

Dale DePriest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I would like to "correct" anything I can in TMG 7 before doing a final GEDCOM into RM6. My first attempt has all my street addresses, hospital names, etc., in Places, with no Place Details. Should I just continue to use RM places in this way, or would this cause other problems? I have many "Lat Long" notes in TMG for detailed places, such as a grave site within a cemetery, an old family farm, etc. Is there a way to keep these or geo codes within RM for place details?
Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Hi Michelle

You will need a place detail for encoding the lat/lon data. So if you don't have one then add it. For a grave the place detail my be the name of the graveyard or more detail if you need several graves. Place is usually just city, county, state, country. Anything further is place detail. If you view the city, county, state, country data in the place list you will see this additional detail in a box at the lower right of the screen. On the right edge of the banner is a place for the lat/lon data. click on the ball. You can also have notes and images for the detail.

Dale

#4 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

I am not sure what exactly you mean when you mention "Lat Long notes" .

TMG has a series of place fields, and LatLong is one of them. I do have what RM calls geo codes in here for many individual graves, etc. The master place list in TMG looks a lot like an Excel table, so you can sort by any field.

If you have a combined Place & Place Detail in TMG and that item has geocoding, notes and/or media then when you eventually perform a split in RM that geocoding, notes and any media will stay with the Place Detail component, in other words the building, cemetery etc. You will decide how to split the Place & Place Detail so you may decide the Place Detail component is "Grave #1, Old Cemetery" and the remainder is the Place which you can edit during the process.

Place Details within RM sort in alphabetical order so it may be worth considering how you will continue to record such items as you progress with RM. I decided on any numbering being recorded after the Place Detail as I wanted similar Place Details grouped together but you would have to consider how things would look in reports and your other needs. For a street address I record "Main Street (#101)" so all entries for Main Street will group together, for Cemeteries it would be something like "Old Cemetery, Grave (#J123)".

One thing RM is currently missing is an associated people report for Place Details, with Places this can be done through pressing the Print button but this facility does not yet exist for Place Details and we can only hope it will in the not too distant future. Since you mentioned graves, I always found an associated people report very useful for a particular grave which may have up to 6 interments and maybe one does not share the family name and deserves further research.

I like your suggestion of naming place details so that the alphabetized list will be more useful, and seeing first how they look in reports. And I have used reports of individual graves with a list of the people interred there. I understand I may lose some reporting flexibility for now with RM, but RM seems so much more user friendly that I'm hoping this switch will leave me with far more time for research.

#5 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

You will need a place detail for encoding the lat/lon data. So if you don't have one then add it. For a grave the place detail my be the name of the graveyard or more detail if you need several graves. Place is usually just city, county, state, country. Anything further is place detail. If you view the city, county, state, country data in the place list you will see this additional detail in a box at the lower right of the screen. On the right edge of the banner is a place for the lat/lon data. click on the ball. You can also have notes and images for the detail.

Dale

I tried and got an error message: "Cannot find PlaceDB.dat. Try reinstalling file" or something like that. I only installed RM6 last week, and everything seemed to go well. Any idea how I can reinstall this file?
Thanks,
Michelle

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

The master place list in TMG looks a lot like an Excel table, so you can sort by any field.

I have to say I like the sounds of that but such a listing is not beyond Rootsmagic and assisting place reconciliation is a challenge to be met by programmers.

I would use a few different TMG place formats on one individual including lat long and export that single person to gedcom and into RM to know exactly what to expect. I wouldn't worry too much as any gedcom file from TMG could easily be modified to suit RM's import if anything is dropped. I am on vacation at the moment but I would be willing to help convert the gedcom once any incompatibility is understood so you will keep your data complete.

It sounds like you have not done your final gedcom into RM just yet so if you like send me a TMG gedcom with a couple of dummy individuals and a note so I can see how it looks. If you click on my forum name you can contact me through the message system.

Really these are things RM should be supporting to aid painless transfer from other programs IMO, still you don't want to lose anything if possible.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#7 MichelleRI8

MichelleRI8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

I would use a few different TMG place formats on one individual including lat long and export that single person to gedcom and into RM to know exactly what to expect.

Thanks, that's a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow, but I will try several different arrangements of a few places and see how they transfer. Thanks also for your very generous offer to look at my gedcom, but I'm determined to get this transfer to RM done in the next few days myself so I can get on with input of new research.
Michelle

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3301 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks also for your very generous offer to look at my gedcom, but I'm determined to get this transfer to RM done in the next few days myself so I can get on with input of new research.
Michelle

No problem, hope all goes well for you and do report back on the forum if stuff gets dropped, it may benefit others.

Root

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8198 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

I tried and got an error message: "Cannot find PlaceDB.dat. Try reinstalling file" or something like that. I only installed RM6 last week, and everything seemed to go well. Any idea how I can reinstall this file?
Thanks,
Michelle

Go to the link below and download and then install the Place Database Installer.

http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6073 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

How has this worked out, MichelleR18? The transfer of TMG details to RM Place Details, geo-coordinates for Places and Place Details, etc?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.