16 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Are there any tablets on the market today that runs RM software?
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Any of the tablets using Windows 8 Pro by various manufacturers should run RootsMagic. Tablets using Windows RT will not.

I have an Acer Iconia W500P tablet with Windows 7 Pro and RM works great on it.

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Laura...I think the Windows tablets are going to be out of my price range. I might have to settle for something just to check e-mail and browse the web while on the road.
Jack

a posteriori

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Jack, Microsoft has relaxed their resolution requirements and there will be tablets coming out with 7 or 8" screens soon.

When I Google Acer tablets, I get links that Acer will probably be coming out with a 8.1" with full Win 8 at about 390.00. Acer has not made a formal announcement yet so all the details about the device are not known yet. I am sure other companies will follow.

You also might be able to find a used or refurbished device at a better price than new, perhaps one with Windows 7 Pro.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Lower price points are coming soon: http://techreport.co...-tablets-likely

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Mother's Day is this weekend. I never cared for Apple products. RootsMagic has announced plans for an Android application sometime this summer. Do I wait for a decently priced Windows 8 tablet or buy an Android system for Mother's Day with hopes that there will be a RM application this summer? A tablet would be easier to take to libraries and courthouses than a laptop.

It would be helpful to have some hints about what version [s] of Android are likely to be supported. It would also be helpful to know what level of performance and screen size will make an enjoyable use of one of these tablets. I really do not know much about tablets.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

The type of tablet device Laura is talking about runs the full RM program. You can make live edits. On the Android app it will be read-only. I don't know what versions of Android the app will run on at this point. As for screen size that's the killer point on the Android app taking so long. There are so many screen size variations that its making programming difficult. As always with screen size it's a users preference on what's acceptable or not.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Mother's Day is this weekend. I never cared for Apple products. RootsMagic has announced plans for an Android application sometime this summer.

I personally do not want to fall in with the I-Pad masses either. I'm going to wait for a tablet using Android OS to come along but, not with Win8. However, I read that MS is planning to address many user complaints and plans to soon release an update to that OS.
Jack

a posteriori

#9 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

You also might be able to find a used or refurbished device at a better price than new, perhaps one with Windows 7 Pro.

I've thought about that Laura. It's just my "pride" getting in the way. I dislike anything "pre-owned." :unsure:
Jack

a posteriori

#10 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

The type of tablet device Laura is talking about runs the full RM program. You can make live edits. On the Android app it will be read-only. I don't know what versions of Android the app will run on at this point. As for screen size that's the killer point on the Android app taking so long. There are so many screen size variations that its making programming difficult. As always with screen size it's a users preference on what's acceptable or not.

About 12 years ago I purchased a Compaq Windows 2000 system with a PDA. At some point I created a HTML file and it may have been with one of the last versions of Family Origins or an early version of RM. I could transfer the HTML file to the PDA and use the index to pick a specific person of interest. It sort of worked, but battery life was a problem and it was slow to page through my data.

Now for the question. You indicate that the Android app will be read-only. If I could do the same steps with an Android as I did with my PDA years ago, will it work? If indeed it will work, is there a need for a specific Android RM application? I just created a test HTML file and looked at it on the computer. If I could see the same data on a portable Android, I would be satisfied. Has anyone tried this? I don't know enough about tablets.

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

I don't know if you could put a html file on an Android device or not, and I am not sure why you would want to since you said it didn't work very well. Smartphones and tablets are much faster than our old pda's.

You would probably need to ask that question on a forum for the tablet you were interested in purchasing.

There are some gedcom readers on Google Play now. Barnes and Noble just added Google Play to their new Nooks. Some are free and some for purchase. Amazon is limited to the new Gedfamilies app for importing a gedcom from various programs. It isn't free, but is a good program. You can make changes and export a gedcom also, but I haven't tried that yet.

You also can use Publish Online frrom RM and access that Website from any device, smartphone, tablet, computer, you have a internet connection on.

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Here are the results of my experiment:
1] Purchase a micro SD card with a full sized SD adapter
2] Using RM6, click on Internet> Create HTML files
3] Specify Pedigree charts with group sheets and take all of the defaults

Try the created file on the Vista system. It works.

Take the micro SD card to a local store.

Have the salesperson demo the tablet computer with a micro SD slot. I am not listing the tablet brand in case there is a problem with endorsements.

The family group sheets displayed and I could select different names to page through the generations.

This superficial test indicates that an Android tablet will display a RM created HTML file without waiting for a full RM application. I am not able to convince myself to call them "apps." I did not check the pedigree chart or select a name from the alphabetic index. Speed of operation compared with my decade old PDA was more than acceptable.

The salesman indicated that a direct USB cable link from a computer to the tablet would also work. However, that is not possible on the sales floor.

It would be nice if someone who owns an Android tablet would try a full evaluation of this scheme and report back on this site.

#13 earlcory

earlcory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

You need to get a tablet that runs Window 8. There are several available from, Microsoft, Dell, and Lenovo to name a few. These tablets run a full version of an OS as opposed to iOS and Android, which are just tablet operating systems. Do not confuse a tablet with a computer. The Window 8 tablets are a full OS that will let you use Rootsmagic, Office, and all your other software, not be confused with aps.
Earl S. Cory

#14 Dale DePriest

Dale DePriest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

To use Windows version 8 to run RootsMagic you need to ensure that you get one based on the Intel chipset. There is also a version called Windows 8 RT which runs on a ARM chipset which is also what most Android systems use. They will not run RootsMagic.

But if you export a web site for a browser you could look at that in any Browser on any OS. It would be possible to build an entire family tree and look at it on any OS that has a browser.

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5877 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

But if you export a web site for a browser you could look at that in any Browser on any OS. It would be possible to build an entire family tree and look at it on any OS that has a browser.

... Provided the OS and browser support hierarchical paths for local storage. I have been meaning to try this with iPad but my initial, superficial effort has not opened any doors.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5877 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

... Provided the OS and browser support hierarchical paths for local storage. I have been meaning to try this with iPad but my initial, superficial effort has not opened any doors.

There appear to be multiple iOS apps available for capturing websites for off-line reading which suggests that it is not possible with the Apple iOS devices straight out of the box. Possibly the same is true for many other mobile OSs. The iOS apps appear to be limited to simpler websites using just HTML, CSS and JavaScript because of those limitations in the underlying browser kernel. That should be sufficient for RootsMagic generated websites, old and new. That said, I have yet to test any of them!

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5877 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

The selection in the iOS Apps store is narrower than I first thought. Many do not grab or work with a whole website but only with a page at a time. There are a few that do with prices from "free" to maybe $10. I have not tried them all but am impressed with Sites-2-Go Lite by MaximumSoftware. You zip the RM generated website files on your computer hard drive into one zip file using 7Zip or other zip utility and then upload it to the iPad. Upload can be done via iTunes and the USB charge cable or wirelessly over your wifi network common to both the iOS device and the computer. In the second case, Sites-2-Go has a simple web server that your computer browser can see through which the zip file can be found and uploaded.

Both the websites generated by the new RM Website Publisher tool and the new/old Create HTML Pages tool rendered and executed very well.

The Lite version is limited to a 10MB zip file and includes an occasional nag and ads. For $4.99, Sites-2-Go HD raises the limit to a 2GB zip or web archive containing 64,000 files.

Interestingly, Android tablets may not need a special application such as is needed for iOS because its file protections are not as strict, according to a couple of posts I read. But I don't have an Android tablet.