• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Apologies for starting a new topic, but I can't find my old one on this subject.
There was a query as to when an Android version of RM would be available, and Renee replied and said it was in development and probably towards the end of the year.
I'm not sure how far specification of this has got, but could I post a plea? Obviously an Android version of RM could be developed where everything was on the Android device, including the database. If someone had a PC and an Android, that begs the question, "How do I keep them in sync?" In particular, please don't make it a long winded process which has to be gone through at each logon before one can do any real geneaology. However, there IS a way of making it automatic.
If the data were kept in "the cloud" - say on Google Drive or on Evernote - it would be accessible from ALL platforms and the synchronisation would have been taken care of because all platforms were using one initial copy of the data (You'd want to keep a copy on the device too, as a backup for when there is no connectivity).
Just a thought which I hope is helpful to the RM Android team.....
Lawrence

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

The current iOS kiddy app gets the database file from Mother via iTunes or via DropBox. While the former is uniquely Apple, I'm sure that Android supports the latter and that the developer of the RM Android app is tasked to include Dropbox sync.

Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

OK Thanks Tom. I don't use Dropbox, but I could, so the need is met. Thanks again - I'll look forward to seeing the app!