• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjchudek

rjchudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

My database opens but when I double click on a person to access the individuals facts window, I am getting a popup error window

"X There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:."

Selecting any of the three choices "Cancel, Try Again, or Continue" removes that error window but the window where I add or edit facts does not appear.

Obviously something is configured wrong, that the program is looking for something in my DVD-RW drive.

All the paths are setup to read/write files to the C: drive, as appropriate.

I am currently locked out of making any updates until I get this issue resolved. All RootsMagic software has been downloaded and installed from the web, never a CD, so I have no clue why it's looking at my DVD drive.

Any suggestions where to look or what to do is appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Does this happen with every person you try to edit or just some?

Have you checked the Media paths? Maybe the database came from a cd-rom?

Have you gone through the set of File>Database tools?

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 rjchudek

rjchudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Okay, this is absolutely unbelievable.

"Just for the heck of it" I inserted an Audio CD into drive E:. The RootsMagic 6 and my database function properly now. The CD I grabbed off the shelf has absolutely nothing to do with RootsMagic! It's a music CD.

If I take that CD out, the popup error window returns and I can't edit any of the people in the database again!

I can reproduce this problem by either having a CD inserted or not. Is this a program bug or is something misconfigured in RootsMagic 6 (or my computer)?

#4 rjchudek

rjchudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

A little more trouble shooting has narrowed down the problem. I figured a computer reboot might be in order as it has been running continuious for at least a week or two. After a fresh reboot, the problem went away. I did not have to have a CD in the DVD drive and RootsMagic 6 functioned properly (no error message).

Because I am highly CDO (that's the same as OCD [obsessive compulstive disordered] but with the letters are in the right order) I wanted to see if I could recreate the problem. Yes, I could.

If I started up Windows Media Player, inserted an audio disk and ran RootsMagic 6, everthing was fine. As soon as I took that CD out of the DVD drive, leaving it empty, I started getting the "There is no disk in drive E." error when trying to edit a person.

Even if I exited the Windows Media Player program, the error message presisted. When I relaunched WMP and inserted a CD, there was no longer the error message. Lather, rinse, repeat...

My computer is a Dell GX620 desktop 3.3 GHz with 4-Gb RAM and running Windows XP pro sp/3 with all current updates. It appears there is some kind of interation between RootsMagic 6 and Windows. Maybe this thread should be moved to the "Bug Reports" forum for a programmer to investigate. In the meantime, I have solved this problem and can get back to work.

Thanks for listening! :)

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Check under List>Media Gallery if you have any media that is linked to an image that could be on the DVD drive. It should show a red x next to the image, then look at the link to see the path were it should be stored.
Renee
RootsMagic