17 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Renee,

This may be somewhere and I am missing it. I've tried automerge and it does not do it.

I keep getting duplicate place names in my place name list.

For instance I looked earlier today and had...

Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States

when only one is necessary. Is there a way to merge duplicate places?

Allen

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

There's no auto-merge for places. It's a manual but very easy and well designed process. List->Places and then click the Merge button. Well, really, before clicking the merge button position yourself to the one of the duplicate places you want to keep. After clicking the Merge button, mark the one or more duplicate places you wish to merge.

If you are using Place Details, you will also want to do a Merge of the Place Details for that Place immediately after completing the merge for the Place.

Jerry

#3 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

There should never be duplicate places... maybe they can add a merge in on the next version? I never thought of merging place details.. now I have even more mess to contend with. Sheesh! When will it ever end?

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

There should never be duplicate places... maybe they can add a merge in on the next version? I never thought of merging place details.. now I have even more mess to contend with. Sheesh! When will it ever end?

Firstly I believe Places and Place Details should AutoMerge, that is how things functioned before RM4. Just for the record I find it disappointing that some users seem to be accepting of slightly lazy functionality and readily accept the extra work that goes into manual merging.

However the manual merge facility should also stay to allow the user to choose the master Place or Place Detail when the entries are not exact in all respects.

I would like to retract my opinion above regarding lazy functionality. Whilst place Automerge was not carried forward from RM3 into the RM4 re-write I have no idea of the decision making process or considerations at that time. Whilst I personally believe there are many features that could be better I do not act out of a desire to offend anyone, Rootsmagicician or other.

Edited by Vyger, 05 May 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Firstly I believe Places and Place Details should AutoMerge, that is how things functioned before RM4. Just for the record I find it disappointing that some users seem to be accepting of slightly lazy functionality and readily accept the extra work that goes into manual merging.

However the manual merge facility should also stay to allow the user to choose the master Place or Place Detail when the entries are not exact in all respects.

I agree, but AutoMerge means two identical places, if you have a comma or one misplaced letter it is not identical Worth it to catch some of those duplicates that are not really duplicates. So if one says Loudoun Co. and another says Loudoun County, and are not programmed to be targeted as duplicates, they are not identical and do need to be merged one by one.

Some thoughts: I wonder if there was a lot of complaints and that is why the AutoMerge function is gone... Also since the Place Details has been added if this makes a difference about being identical.
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#6 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Vyger,

I resent being called lazy, my database has thousands of places and I'm trying to scrub my data that I imported from Ancestry.com. I had literally six entries all identical with the same period and spacing...

Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States

I am very meticulous in how I enter my data, there should not be any dupicates and there should be a way to merge them when you have them.

#7 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

I agree, but AutoMerge means two identical places, if you have a comma or one misplaced letter it is not identical Worth it to catch some of those duplicates that are not really duplicates. So if one says Loudoun Co. and another says Loudoun County, and are not programmed to be targeted as duplicates, they are not identical and do need to be merged one by one.

Some thoughts: I wonder if there was a lot of complaints and that is why the AutoMerge function is gone... Also since the Place Details has been added if this makes a difference about being identical.

Nettie,

There are no place details... all of them were simply

Tennessee, United States

No other data was filled out.

Allen

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Allen, you have misunderstood both vyger and Nettie's comments. Vyger did not say you were lazy, rather that those who recognize a missing or needed feature and fail to push for it are disappointing and that the incomplete or unfulfilled functionality is lazy; you might infer that someone is lazy but its not you! ;-)

Nettie is commenting that when auto merge supports Places it would be nice if it could recognize that entries such as Loudoun Co. and Loudoun County are the same place, despite not being a string match, and merge them. That would be an enhancement to the wished for auto merge for Places. She is not attempting to explain why your identical places did not merge; that's a given.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Renee,

This may be somewhere and I am missing it. I've tried automerge and it does not do it.

I keep getting duplicate place names in my place name list.

For instance I looked earlier today and had...

Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States
Tennessee, United States

when only one is necessary. Is there a way to merge duplicate places?

Allen

I have had this happen many times with different revisions and is still happening.. Expecially when a gedcom is added to a database. Clean up is not easy...
The move to RM 5 then 6 bought a new feature to on the merge to check more than one identical same place name. Was a quick way to clean up the database. I have wished that feature could also be in the Source List merge for clean up. :)
Genealogy:
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#10 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I have had this happen many times with different revisions and is still happening.. Expecially when a gedcom is added to a database. Clean up is not easy...
The move to RM 5 then 6 bought a new feature to on the merge to check more than one identical same place name. Was a quick way to clean up the database. I have wished that feature could also be in the Source List merge for clean up. :)

Even merging them with the merge icon still does not merge the places.

I have

Oneida, Scott, Tennessee, United states 5 times.

I merged all into one master...

Now the sub places are

Oneida, Scott, Tennessee United States (All one entry with Multiple entries for)

--- Scott County Hospital
--- Oneida City Cemetery
--- Oneida City Cemetery
--- Oneida City Cemetery
--- Marcum Cemetery
--- Marcum Cemetery

How do you merge the sub places?

#11 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Okay : Menu/Lists/Place List find the one you want icons at the top & one says Place Details Click on it and brings up the screen with Edit Delete Merge
Click on Merge
highlight the one you want to merge
Then gives you the list with check boxes :)

Check the ones you want to merge.

F1 or Help menu and Working with Places gives more information but tells you the same thing. How did I get to it? In the Search field put merge Place Details and it bought up several topics. Have fun :)
Genealogy:

#12 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Geeze this merge stuff is beginning to be a big pain in the keester.

BTW... Nice organ you are playing... it's becoming a lost art. More and more churches are going the way of "praise bands" instead of traditional organs... there's something comforting about a good old church hymn. Sometimes I feel like I have been to a rock concert instead of a church service.

#13 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

OK... I finally got EVERYTHING merged. Now does anyone have any advice on how to keep it this way?

#14 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Geeze this merge stuff is beginning to be a big pain in the keester.

BTW... Nice organ you are playing... it's becoming a lost art. More and more churches are going the way of "praise bands" instead of traditional organs... there's something comforting about a good old church hymn. Sometimes I feel like I have been to a rock concert instead of a church service.

you got that right, I refuse to go to a church now if they do not have a pipe organ. Thanks MN UMC church where I trained over 50 years ago. Just lost this week a friend who repaired and played the Wurlitzer Theater Organ in Omaha. He built his own theater organ in the lower level of his home with a 32 ft pipe included out of three MN church pipe organs he dismantled and was also a genealogist.

Glad you got your merges done. Makes you feel better after wards. But do not be surprised when you find them again happening. Keeping it means to me watching how data is entered....
Genealogy:

#15 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

I resent being called lazy,

?? Think you should read my post again, <_<
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#16 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

But do not be surprised when you find them again happening. Keeping it means to me watching how data is entered....

FTM does Automerge, see my link and video, however Nettie does make a good point earlier and it must be remembered that FTM does not have TRUE Place Details, also does not cater for Place & Place Details Notes or Media. I carefully manage my Places and Place Details including Notes and Media and wherever possible I select a Place from the existing Place list or take a few minutes to look it up and enter it as correctly as possible but I still occasionally need to deal with duplicates especially when data comes from another source.

Not having Place and Place Details Notes and Media leaves FTM out of consideration for me except as a link with Ancestry but there are a lot of things on the FTM Place Management UI that RM could learn from and do even better in my opinion. Overall RM has many more Place related features over FTM including County Checker and again in my opinion as RM has evolved all these features have become fragmented and don't often work well together to the users benefit. I would hope that the Rootsmagician has, at least, the vision and is working on a completely new Place management tool, I believe it would be a winner. So if you are not familiar with FTM and don't have time to watch the video then let me share my own thoughts below.

* Firstly the RM Place UI, as is, needs a complete overhaul. Reconciling Places is something one does in conjunction with a map and other look up material like Gazetteer and County Checker, these need to be brought together and live suggestions displayed on any highlighted place. My suggestion is to redesign the Rootsmagic Mapping UI to include a right pane that could display Gazetteer and County Check suggestions as well as where Place is used and Place Details within details, this would become the new Place management UI.

* Rootsmagic should Automerge identical Places but some form of highlighting or a Place Duplicate Search Merge routine should be introduced to aid management of Places.

* Some form of highlighting needs to be introduced to ease identification of Places and Place Details which are not currently geocoded. FTM does this by a little question mark to the left of the Place but highlighting in Bold or Colour are possible and a matter for further user discussion.

* The Place list should have the facility to be reversed on screen by csv so provide the facility to list by Country, State, County, Place, again FTM does this and it is another very useful aid in reconciling Places by geographic location. In the case of Rootsmagic this could further extend to Place Details.

Posted Image

* Lifting of geocoding directly from the online map, which as stated before needs to be a live part of the UI, needs to be facilitated for both Place and Place Details.

* I would think at this point that the left pane in a non hierarchal view should display a + alongside any Place which contains Place Details so the user could expand that entry but as always this is open for further user discussion and opinion.

I have not had much time for the forum of late but the Place topic is very close to my heart and one I would always try and contribute to. However all these subjects have been exhaustively discussed over the last 4 years since the release of RM4 and even earlier in some respects. We can only hope that the Rootsmagician recognises and accepts the current short comings of RM's Place UI and has the will and time to do something about it.

Apart from my own opinions I do hope other users with enhancement ideas do contribute there own ideas, looking at how other software packages do it only open our minds to what is possible and no package is perfect in all respects.

#17 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

I am a convert from the Legacy system... and the only reason why I love RM more than Legacy is the shared event. It is so nice to enter ONE Census fact and then tag everyone in the event as a family member.

I've never used FTM so don't have a clue how it works. I'm a stickler for documentation and places.

My Legacy database transferred nicely over to Roots Magic and I'm going in and re-entering a lot of data by hand to "scrub" poor research done by others. I'm trying to publish a book for my family and it's important to me that everything is entered right.

I like the Flexibility of Root's magic's places as Legacy is more rigid.

I would like to know if there is a blanket way to enter "County" after the county name as I like the more descriptive term of county.

I'm sorry if I was a bit miffed I do a lot of my computer work very late at night and the lazy comment was a combination of working long hours and checking upon a few e-mails I get daily to make sure that everything is correct.

Thanks again for all your help. RM Users are way more down to earth than the Legacy crowd.

Allen

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I would like to know if there is a blanket way to enter "County" after the county name as I like the more descriptive term of county.

Within RootsMagic, you could search for and replace one county name at a time using Search > Search & Replace > Places and the search term "countyname," without the quotes but with the comma, and replace term "countyname County,". Unfortunately, if there is a municipality having the same name as countyname, it too will be replaced. You might narrow the search by using ", countyname," with the leading and trailing comma and modify the replace term accordingly but that would miss those Places which are just the county.

You could achieve a more general solution outside RM using SQLite. The page http://sqlitetoolsfo...e and recombine offers some ideas.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.