• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

I was married and went through a divorce, and now I have a new partner. I have put both spouses in my database, but when it comes to displaying charts, it only shows the first spouse, whereas the second would be more appropriate. I don't want to delete the first spouse or my sons will find themselves motherless, but I DO want my current spouse to appear in charts. Anyone know how I do this please? Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3541 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

When in the Family View, click on the upper left where it says Spouses: 2 and select the spouse you wish to show. I believe this will carry over to chart reports but the result may well be that your first wife and children now won't show in certain views and charts.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Many thanks Tom - you are right on all counts. I suppose if I want my current spouse AND my sons to show, I have to lie to Rootsmagic and tell it that they are OUR children! Ho hum. But it's good to know how to do it, so thanks again! :)
Lawrence

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3541 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

You can link a person to more than one set of parents and set the relationship to one of several types. Thus you could have your children included in the Family View with your current wife and remain in the Family View when your prior spouse is selected. Unfortunately, the reports and screens do not distinguish in any way among the different types of relationships.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like that might be the answer - thanks Tom! I will give it a go....

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

The Family view screen shows the child's relationship to both parents, if you have the screen wide enough to show everything.

I put something in the child's general note:
ie: Mary is the natural child of John and Jane Doe and the step daughter of Henry Smith.

This will show up in reports which include notes, but at the end where it isn't very noticeable.
Alfred

#7 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Alfred. I adopted Tom's solution OK, but I did feel i wanted to convey addtional information and your note enables that.
Thanks again!
Lawrence

#8 lchanney

lchanney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've just discovered that Rootsmagic has a facility built in to handle the different types of multiple parents.
If you choose the edit screen for a child, then highlight the parents row on that screen, you get a panel which enables you
to choose the relationship to the parent: birth, adopted, step or whatever! :rolleyes: