3 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2252 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I believe I posted this before although many years ago but just in case I will post again after being reminded of the importance of accurate reference tables by GlenBs post regarding Spell Check.

Rootsmagic is a collection of many tables which can be easily added to and two reference data collections where I have always had to rely on lookups is Old Illnesses and Old Occupations. Obviously these can differ somewhat through the world and in various languages so they become but being tied and important to genealogy research and data accuracy I believe they should be part of Rootsmagic.

So my wish is for two additional tables, Occupation and Illness with Name and Notes field. Thinking ahead any descriptive information used in the relevant Notes fields could be optionally selected for appendix printing in reports to further enhance report quality.

In the mean time feel free to visit my own reference list or copy it to your own system if useful.
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3678 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Ok, maybe it's to early Monday morning for me, but I'm having trouble placing where you want these. Can you describe this some more. I can't figure out if you want facts, or spell check with this. Just can't wrap my brain around this request.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

I agree with Vyger - standardisation on these Fact Types would be a helpful option. By the way it is worth looking at the free software "ftanalyzer" which along with a number of useful reports (like missing census records) also has feature to show Occupations and list those who are recorded with it. ftanalyser can be found here : http://ftanalyzer.codeplex.com/. Important point to note - if you use Shared Facts you should convert these to individual facts in a separate database prior to exporting the GED file. Converting Shared Facts to individual ones can be achieved using the well documented RMtrix utilities. See http://footstepspast...ared-facts.html.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2252 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

At the very least I would like to see Description fields added to Spell Check in a step towards improving accuracy of information as I just can't spell those odd medical terms let alone know what they mean -_-
Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: occupation, illness, reference, database