• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

When I click tools/count trees on my personal data, I get the correct number (1 TREE) but the name of the start tree is someone who is in the tree but not at either end. Is there any way to change the 'start person' is the person?

I ask because I have a master database that contains multiple trees that I want to split out. I would like the start person to be the oldest ancestor.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8029 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

The starting person is determined by the lowest record number in that group of individuals making up that tree. There isn't any way inside the database to renumber the Record Numbers (RINs).

If you really had to do it you would need to do a lot of dragging n' dropping into new databases to get a person in the right position in your final database. That would make my head hurt doing that. Instead I would opt for creating a group in RM with everyone in that tree. Then name the group the oldest ancestor. If you added new people to that tree you would have to include them in the group or run the filter again.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Hinson

Hinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

LOL...makes my head hurt just reading what I would have to do. I'll leave it as is and deal with it. Thanks for the reply.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1395 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Another possibility is to find your oldest ancestor for each unique tree (the person you want to consider as the starting point) and create a Bookmark. Using the sidebar menus, it will then be very easy to jump from one start point to another.